- - - - -

Sleep Patterns

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:11 AM

I used to have Soundscapes :) It wasn't too bad, but now I've upgraded to Dan Gibson's "Solitudes" collection. It is fantastic!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 watkinson

watkinson

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:24 AM

I also have sleeplessness. (For about 20 years or so) I had no problem sleeping as a child or teenager. But starting in my 20's (a few years after the celiac symptoms started) I began having sleep problems. (which go worse as the celiac problemas got worse.) I sometimes get as little as 1 or 2 hours a night several nights in a row.
I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, (restless leg syndrome, chronic fatigue, all kind of go hand in hand). I also have peripheral neuropothy. Tingling pain in my hands and feet, with shooting pains going down the arms and legs. The hands and feet will then fall asleep. It's basically nerve damage. I also have Osteomalasia (caused by malabsorbtion of calcium when the bones are developing.) Nothing you can see, just constant pain for me, mainly in the lower back and hips. It makes it difficult to sleep when you are constantly tossing and turning from pain. I realize now that I have had these problems all along the same time I suffered from Celiacs, but it all went undiagnosed.

Sometimes a person may not know that they are not sleeping. You may wake in the morning thinking that you got 8 or 9 hours but the reality is that you never fell into the deep REM kind of sleep, the restfull kind that we all need for body healing. When you toss and turn from pain or jerking muscles or tight muscles that never relax, you are obviously not going to fall into that deep sleep.

all of my problems are much better since I discovered that I have Celiacs and went gluten-free over a year ago. But I still suffer quite a bit from the pain and lack of sleep. I'm guessing that since it took my body many years to create all the damamge, it may take many years to undo it.
My doctor has put me on an antidepressant for the fibromyalgia. 25 mg. dose. It isn't a high enough dose to work for depression, but it helps with the pain by releasing endorfins, and also helps you sleep, which in turn helps with the pain. I also have Lidocaine patches that you place on the really sore muscles while you sleep. I have only been on these for about 2 weeks. At first I saw no difference, but I've noticed in the last few days that for the first time in years I am getting about 5 or 6 straight hours. :D :D :D WOW!!! I do feel better!! Pain is the same but I'm betting that will change too.

Definately regular excersise helps a ton. I try to run every day. It feels great when I do, but if I miss a day I really feel it.

P.S. I have 2 sound machines :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Good luck with the sleep, Wendy

#18 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

If I don't get exercise of any kind for at least a 1/2 hour a day I have a rough time getting to sleep.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: