3 replies to this topic

#1 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:06 AM

I notice quite a few seem to have both Gluten and Dairy Intolerence. Is that common ? Would my only symptom of a dairy Intolerence be a sharp headache after eating dairy ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

Georgie, gluten and dairy intolerances are very commonly paired together. I would try cutting it out for a while and see if you notice a difference.

Per your symptoms, I'm not really sure. I haven't been dairy free long enough or attempted to reintroduce it yet, so I don't even really know what it will do to me.

I do remember that not long after going gluten-free, and being in serious denial, I went to have some cheese sticks. They were awesome.
But anyways, within like thirty minutes of eating them I got a killer migraine. I'm not sure what that was related to, but it was totally worth it to eat those cheese sticks (they're handmade at the bar around the corner. :P )

I suggest that you cut it out for a month or two and then reintroduce it and see what happens

Courtney
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

They do appear to go hand in hand with a non-trivial number of celiacs. Headaches are fairly common signs of intolerances, and a headache is one of the symptoms I get from dairy.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:55 AM

Headache was one of the first signs my hubby got if he had too much milk (along with stomach gripes)

He cut it out for around 3 months and now he can tolerate it ok (but he has a limit !) :)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: