50 replies to this topic

#46 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

I guess I am a little slow on the uptake. I just realized that I responded to a post that was old and I had already responded to it a few months ago. Sorry about that, I must have a little fog in my brain!
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 westiepaws

westiepaws

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:14 PM

Oh, that "piggy" description is so funny! That is me discovering those berry "Envirokids" rice bars at Whole Foods! :lol:

Thanks for the mold link -- my mom is allergic to almost everything on the planet and I think that link might help her.

Also, re: brussels sprouts, I never liked them *until* a friend fixed them halved and sauteed with lots of fresh chopped garlic and olive oil. I was eating them that way once a week for a while -- need to get back to that! It's really quick to prepare, too.

I tried finding prepared foods but because I'm also allergic to soy and casien, I posted of many diet woes and frustrations here, as a result, over the last several months. Now I eat mostly fresh, whole foods except for chocolate, those Envirokids bars every now and then -- and sometimes I make brownies or that cranberry dessert recipe elsewhere at this site (only I make it in a 9x12 pan so it is thin and crisp and more like a cobbler instead of a cake -- yum-ola).

I am studying to be a nutritionist and the program I am in stresses biochemical individuality -- we've all got the same basic human genetics, but there, the similarities end. So what works for one won't work for another, and vise-versa. It explains why so many of us have differences in our diets, and also means it is important for us to share all the differences! That mold page will be a HUGE help to my mom, who has tons of allergies, one of them mold.

westiepaws

#48 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hi Westiepaws:

I am looking for a westie. What do you think of them?
Thanks
Sally
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#49 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:42 AM

Just a few comments here... almost any veggie tastes great if you saute it in a pan with olive oil... do it over a fairly high heat so the veggie stays a bit crispy and it gets slightly browned on the outside. When its almost done add the garlic... it you add it earlier overcooked garlic doesn't taste all that good. Then eat... sometimes I deglaze the pan with the veggies with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and they are done and ready to eat. We do asperagus, broccoli, green beans, snow peas this way, very tasty. My 13 year old will eat almost any veggie this way.

I can't comment on a Westie as I've never had one but I have known a few and I've loved all of them. I keep saying my next dog will be one because I sort of like the idea of having a small dog I can take on some of my travels.

In general Terriers are wonderful dogs... I have an Airedale Terrier (as you probably guessed by her picture) and she is the most wonderful dog in the world. She is a clown for us, very tolerant of kids (when my daughter was younger they would dress her up in clothes, hats etc.) she is a good watch dog as well, very protective of her family, but most are not "aggressive" they are not biters and usually just will bark at intruders (which means anyone on our property). Terriers as a group are dogs that have loads of personality and are considered very smart... however, they do have a mind of their own and usually have fairly high energy requirments.. so our girl even at 8 needs playtime every day and all terriers need training starting from early on. I did that and got the most wonderful dog of my life (I've always had a dog, from day one of my life and a number of Airedales), she comes when she is called! She does all sorts of complicated tricks that were really easy to teach her. (she spins, army crawls, barks at certain words, finds certain toys by name, barks when the teapot boils (I burned up about 5 of them and decided it was time to teach the dog to tell me when the darn thing is boiling).

I'm a Terrier fan!

Susan

#50 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:43 AM

almost any veggie tastes great if you saute it in a pan with olive oil... do it over a fairly high heat so the veggie stays a bit crispy and it gets slightly browned on the outside.

Veggies are so good like that! YUM!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#51 blueshift

blueshift

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:23 AM

Some of the posts in this thread are really interesting..like a flower garden of varieties of colors, you have all put some nice interesting new looks at things.

Sometimes it is the combination that can make a big difference as well as what I eat. In the moring I eat mostly nuts and raw fruits..cashews and a peach and some grapefruit this morning...but I add just a little amarinth O's along with canned pineapple..For a tangy treat I soak raw pineapple slices in worcestershire sauce and down it at times..

At lunch I eat a high protein set up..Heinz beans with pineapple and worcestershire..Or, I'll have tofu with mushrooms and hummus..I might have some catfish or salmon at his time for an occasional sub.

At dinner I go for a high carb, low protein menu...Stir fry vegetables with potatoes and some raw zucchini...unsalted sweet potato chips are a later snack..

Between and after meals are shakes I make out of banana and/or mango and/or cherries and water..Once a day I sub the water with red grape juice..

I take my bone marrow jell with each meal...

So far, not bad...
blueshift

from Chicago suburbs near O'Hare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: