This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegan & Gfcfsf In Richmond Va

hathor

hathor Contributor

It looks like I'll be traveling there this Thankgiving weekend. I can find a list of gluten-free-friendly (supposedly) restaurants and a list of vegetarian restaurants. There is no overlap.

I can go to the former, which would satisfy relatives. But then, at least judging from the menus I can see online, I am stuck with side dishes and trying to make them adjust the recipes to be without butter, cheese, hollandaise, etc. (And end up with unflavored veggies, no doubt).

I can go to the latter, which would probably irk the relatives forced to come along. I can get vegan that way, but who knows about avoiding gluten and soy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

How about bringing your own food if there aren't any good options?

You may want to contact the GIG Richmond branch. They have a pretty active and great group. Their leader may be able to provide suggestions....but gluten free is hard enough, finding something that is gluten-free/sf/cf AND vegan is a bit harder unless you go to a high end restaurant, talk to the chef, etc.

Good luck!

Lisa Mentor

Gluten Free in Richmond:

Acacia - www.araciarestaurant.com

Carrabba's Italian

Casa Grande - Gluten Friendly

Extra Billy's - Gluten Friendly

Inochine - www.indochine-restaurant.com

Maggiano's

Outback - everywhere

P. F. Change's

Ruth's Chris - gluten free menu

Thai Diner Too - gluten free menu

....can't help with the other dietary restrictions.

hathor Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll be able to manage. I've found four possible restaurants close to where I'll be, which should cover lunch and dinner for the two days I'll be there. I'll just bring things for my own breakfasts.

I was assuming that restaurants or take out is what we are going to do. I have to figure out how to politely tell my nephew, "Hey, thanks for having us visit. If you are planning on cooking for me, let me tell you what I can't or don't want to eat (long list ensues). If you don't like that, here is my list of acceptable restaurants (list). And I can't drink wine or beer these days either, so I would need ..." You get the idea.

If he had directly invited me, I could have broached the subject then. But it was a matter of my sister basically telling him that it was his turn to host the family (and my sister telling me that I needed to be seeing our mom so I had to come). Ah, family :D

• 3 weeks later...
hathor Contributor

The best restaurant I ate at was one we just happened across. You know how they have those little cards for restaurants in hotel lobbies? I saw an Ethiopian one and figured that, like every other Eth. restaurant I call, it will have wheat in the injera. But this one didn't!

It has been the first time I've been able to eat at an Eth. restaurant for close to a year. The food was wonderful. I think I attacked it like a ravenous pirana :rolleyes:

Now I just need excuses to go to Richmond ...

Open Original Shared Link

We also went to the Curry House (lunch buffet -- I didn't react to anything; I stuck with the veggie offerings so I can't speak to the other dishes) and Maggiano's (food was disappointing and I felt like I had been CCed somehow ... I don't know why I keep trying them). My niece cooked one meal and didn't gluten (casein, egg, soy) me. But she gets it. One of her kids has a peanut allergy and the other is allergic to dairy and egg. So she was sharing recipes and checking ingredients out with me in advance.

The breakfast buffet at my hotel had gluten, gluten, & more gluten. I hated to even walk in there to get my banana & a cup of tea. I'm glad I took food with me.

Archived