7 replies to this topic

#1 DrMom

DrMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

After I eat some meals, the food just sits in my stomach for about 4 hours. It is not being digested and I constantly taste it when I burp. What causes this and what can I do? I take Reglan (metaclopramide) before every meal and at bedtime to speed up digestion, but it is not working. Help!
DrMom

Dx celiac sprue 06-06-06
Prometheus Labs in California, blood work
AGA IgG=negative AGA IgA=negative
TTG IgA=positive EMA IgA=positive
Endoscopy shows moderate to severe villa blunting

severe asthma, COPD
right Bundle Branch Block (heart conduction)
short PR interval (heart)
Arnold Chiari Malformation
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome
GERD
Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis
Severe claustrophobia
Gallbladder removed

When someone you love becomes a memory,
that memory becomes a treasure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

I don' tknow if you have had this problem tested, but I have Gastroparesis. I just do not get hungry. The food sits in my stomach for hours on end. I have vommited, when sick, undigested food that I ate 8+ hours ago. Gastroparesis is delayed gastric emptying. That was one of the items that was diagnosed prior to Celiacs being found. They took my gallbladder out thinking that sometimes helps stomach to work better. It didn't, so keep your gallbladder if you have a choice. The Dr put me on Reglan too. The fun part of Reglan for gastroparesis is that it will not work as well the longer you take it. I think the doc used to call it Law of deminishing effects. The only drug that works well for Gastroparesis is not sold in the US, sold in Canada. It was expensive to me years ago. End result is the dr put me on a variety of drugs wanting only the side effect - increased gastric emptying. In the end, gluten-free diet was a huge help. I still have occassional problems with being full for days. Or just not hungry for days. What I have found that works the best is food enzymes. When I take 1 food enzyme pill before breakfast, I start to feel better. So I take the pills for a few days until I feel normal again. I only take 1 pill a day. Maybe two if I am in really bad shape.

Maybe some of that will help you feel better.

#3 DrMom

DrMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:45 AM

Too late, they already took out my gallbladder, and that is exactly when this problem started. I don't think I have the digestive juices that I need now. Thanks for the reply.
DrMom
Dx celiac sprue 06-06-06
Prometheus Labs in California, blood work
AGA IgG=negative AGA IgA=negative
TTG IgA=positive EMA IgA=positive
Endoscopy shows moderate to severe villa blunting

severe asthma, COPD
right Bundle Branch Block (heart conduction)
short PR interval (heart)
Arnold Chiari Malformation
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome
GERD
Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis
Severe claustrophobia
Gallbladder removed

When someone you love becomes a memory,
that memory becomes a treasure.

#4 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

After I eat some meals, the food just sits in my stomach for about 4 hours. It is not being digested and I constantly taste it when I burp. What causes this and what can I do? I take Reglan (metaclopramide) before every meal and at bedtime to speed up digestion, but it is not working. Help!
DrMom

Have you experimented with your diet. The first thing that comes to my mind is very low fat and no raw veggies. Then hard to digest veggies like cabbage and broccoli, legumes?

What has been your experiences with these, do you have a food diary?

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#5 delcarolyn

delcarolyn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

I don' tknow if you have had this problem tested, but I have Gastroparesis. I just do not get hungry. The food sits in my stomach for hours on end. I have vommited, when sick, undigested food that I ate 8+ hours ago. Gastroparesis is delayed gastric emptying. That was one of the items that was diagnosed prior to Celiacs being found. They took my gallbladder out thinking that sometimes helps stomach to work better. It didn't, so keep your gallbladder if you have a choice. The Dr put me on Reglan too. The fun part of Reglan for gastroparesis is that it will not work as well the longer you take it. I think the doc used to call it Law of deminishing effects. The only drug that works well for Gastroparesis is not sold in the US, sold in Canada. It was expensive to me years ago. End result is the dr put me on a variety of drugs wanting only the side effect - increased gastric emptying. In the end, gluten-free diet was a huge help. I still have occassional problems with being full for days. Or just not hungry for days. What I have found that works the best is food enzymes. When I take 1 food enzyme pill before breakfast, I start to feel better. So I take the pills for a few days until I feel normal again. I only take 1 pill a day. Maybe two if I am in really bad shape.

Maybe some of that will help you feel better.

#6 delcarolyn

delcarolyn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

When you take the digestive enzyme, do you still have to be careful with what you eat? What enzyme pill do you like the best?

#7 hayley3

hayley3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

I had this for a while. I always thought it was a kind of a muscle myopathy. I have muscle weakness in other areas like my arms and legs, so why not the stomach muscle. Turns out I have a vitamin D deficiency which can also cause myopathy. Haven't gotten it yet, but the endo has prescribed some vitamin D for me to take. In the meantime I bought some sublingual vitamin D. You might want to try it and see if it helps you. Vitamin therapy takes a while to work though, unless you know exactly how much to supplement. I read 50,000 iu of vitamin D but I wouldn't take it without a doctor's okay. I'm currently taking 2000 iu.

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

Another thing that can cause this in celiacs is nerve damage from the disease. You may want to try a sublingual B12 to help with nerve function. My DS has suffered from this most of his life, not a great thing for a young man trying to gain weight as it makes him feel full very quickly when he eats certain foods. Being gluten-free and the B12 have helped a bit but not gotten rid of this totally. I have noticed that some foods he is able to eat a lot more of, for example he usually can only get down about 1/2 a sandwich for lunch but if he has a stew or soup he can eat the equivelent of a full meal. A food diary might be helpful to track what you digest the best and most smoothly.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: