This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Gluten Free Food List 1/10/08...please Add Yours

Respira

Loey Rising Star

Hi Loey,

One more thing you might want to try. I was having some bloating for a while and wasn't sure what the cause was. I took a betaine HCL for a few days and it cleared up. I am thinking the extra stomach acid maybe killed off some nasty bacterias. Not sure, but it helped. I don't take them often though.

Betaine HCL turns into hydrocloric acid in the stomach so it can be helpful if there is low stomach acid for some reason. They say that h.pylori bacteria interfere with stomach acid production. Don't take more than recommended though, and make sure to wash them down with a good gulp of water. They aren't the kind of pills you want to chew or dissolve in your mouth!

That's not a replacement for the elimination diet though. Just a possible help with getting past some initial bloating.

Good to hear things may be turning for the better already.

This Ask a patient website might be helpful also. It has patients reports of their reactions to various drugs.

Open Original Shared Link

Ok saw the trailer. Yep I remember those commericials. Looks like a good one!

I had posted in another forum that my insurance company hasn't approved the capsule endoscopy for Monday. I don't think my new GI is taking me seriously. I get the feeling he thinks I want pain medication. I don't need to get it from him and have chosen not to take any that I have because I don't want to mask the symptoms or create other problems by taking anything addictive. I just want to feel better. A man my husband works with has IBS and uses a GI he's been happy with about a half hour away from me. I picked my GI because he was close and I had to get my son tested ASAP before he left for his freshman year at college. I wanted to make sure he could eat what he wanted and thankfully he can (when he's not home). My husband and I discussed it and I'll go see the other doctor.

Started the elimination diet today. Not feeling better yet but I'm willing to do whatever it takes (even though my husband's homemade gluten-free mac & cheese looked much better than my little grilled piece of chicken with rice). Tonight I'll treat myself to apple sauce while he has dessert.

BTW, where do you get the Betaine HCL? Is that a Health Food store item or pharmacy? I hope you know how much I appreciate all the help you've been giving me.biggrin.gif

Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Loey,

I think I got my Betaine HCL at the Vitamin Shoppe, it's been a while. So yeah, a pharmacy or some such would probably have it too. It's not a prescription item, so lots of places that stock vitamins may have it in the digestive aids section.

The elimination diet can take several days to settle things down. Our bodies need time to heal and adjust a bit too. Avoiding sugar is a real good idea while working on the elimination diet too. Sugars can feed a lot of hungry bacteria in our guts. After a week it should be helping though. Maybe sooner, but time will tell. Simplification of the diet is the key to it.

I hear those capsule endoscopies can be helpful. Seems like a good way to go.

I am glad to help, been there and done that myself plenty. I did elimination diets 3 times in the 3 years since I started gluten-free and found new intolerances each time. Seems our bodies can develop new intolerances whenever they see fit to. But it sure can be helpful when something that's irritating is removed from the diet.

I suggest you build up a list of safe foods that you know work for you. Then if you start having problems sometime down the road you can go back to eating those safe foods again for a while until you figure out what the culprit is. Your safe list doesn't have to be real short though. It could be 10 or 15 or 20 foods.

Well, I hope things get better soon! :)

Loey Rising Star

Hi Loey,

I think I got my Betaine HCL at the Vitamin Shoppe, it's been a while. So yeah, a pharmacy or some such would probably have it too. It's not a prescription item, so lots of places that stock vitamins may have it in the digestive aids section.

The elimination diet can take several days to settle things down. Our bodies need time to heal and adjust a bit too. Avoiding sugar is a real good idea while working on the elimination diet too. Sugars can feed a lot of hungry bacteria in our guts. After a week it should be helping though. Maybe sooner, but time will tell. Simplification of the diet is the key to it.

I hear those capsule endoscopies can be helpful. Seems like a good way to go.

I am glad to help, been there and done that myself plenty. I did elimination diets 3 times in the 3 years since I started gluten-free and found new intolerances each time. Seems our bodies can develop new intolerances whenever they see fit to. But it sure can be helpful when something that's irritating is removed from the diet.

I suggest you build up a list of safe foods that you know work for you. Then if you start having problems sometime down the road you can go back to eating those safe foods again for a while until you figure out what the culprit is. Your safe list doesn't have to be real short though. It could be 10 or 15 or 20 foods.

Well, I hope things get better soon! :)

Hi GFinDC

My pain is a little better today. I also haven't eaten anything yet. Right now I'm only eating chicken, rice, and apples.

I've decided to go see another GI (one referred to us by my husband's co-worker). He has been seeing them for years (he has IBS) and is very happy the way he's been treated. It's further away but I think it's important for me to have a good relationship with my GI. I just don't think my new one is taking this seriously and think he might be labeling me as someone looking for pain killers. I haven't taken (or wanted to take) any since I got sick because I don't want to mask the pain or create other problems. They all don't have experience with this disease. I also know I have to be my own detective and advocate. I'm hoping the other doctor will push for the capsule endoscopy the way my old GI pushed for all of the other tests I had before I moved. After going undiagnosed for God knows how many years I want to know how damaged the villi are and if any organs were damaged.

Right now I'm cooking chicken in a crock-pot with just water, salt and pepper. The chicken last night got too rubbery when I broiled it (still getting use to my new electric oven and it's the one appliances that didn't come with a manual).

I'm hoping to get out to pick up the Betaine HCL today. I usually don't get out of the house too early. I suffer from the cold and numb hands and feet (with tingling) and usually crawl back into bed to watch a little TV and get warmer. This forum has gotten me out of bed and as I mentioned that's a Godsend.

Loey smile.gif

P.S. I almost ate applesauce last night and then looked at the ingredients. It had high fructose corn syrup in it. Dodged a bullet there.

Loey Rising Star

I had posted in another forum that my insurance company hasn't approved the capsule endoscopy for Monday. I don't think my new GI is taking me seriously. I get the feeling he thinks I want pain medication. I don't need to get it from him and have chosen not to take any that I have because I don't want to mask the symptoms or create other problems by taking anything addictive. I just want to feel better. A man my husband works with has IBS and uses a GI he's been happy with about a half hour away from me. I picked my GI because he was close and I had to get my son tested ASAP before he left for his freshman year at college. I wanted to make sure he could eat what he wanted and thankfully he can (when he's not home). My husband and I discussed it and I'll go see the other doctor.

Started the elimination diet today. Not feeling better yet but I'm willing to do whatever it takes (even though my husband's homemade gluten-free mac & cheese looked much better than my little grilled piece of chicken with rice). Tonight I'll treat myself to apple sauce while he has dessert.

BTW, where do you get the Betaine HCL? Is that a Health Food store item or pharmacy? I hope you know how much I appreciate all the help you've been giving me.biggrin.gif

Loey

Hi GFinDC,

Another quick question about the elimination diet. If the food in my fridge is all gluten-free but not what I'm eating yet on the elimination diet (things my husband is eating), is that still OK or can it contaminate me. He's willing to do whatever it takes to help me heal but I'd like him to be able to eat the good gluten-free meals I made him. He wants to invite a co-worker over for dinner next week and I would like to cook them a nice meal while I eat my chicken, rice, and apples.

Thanks!!

Loey smile.gif

Loey Rising Star

Hi GFinDC,

Hope I'm not becoming a PIA. I was wondering if I should add Quinoa to my "soup" instead of rice just to be safe. I ate a little bit of rice for lunch. Pain is a little better today (considering what it was yesterday - still fairly excruciating). Getting ready to try and do an errand or two. That completely wiped me out yesterday. I also spend a lot of time sitting at my computer and had previously been lying in bed (eased the pain a little but not good for my spirits or education on Celiac - although I did read books).

One last thing, I had posted a question to you about whether or not it was all right to have gluten-free things that I cooked in my fridge for my husband while I'm doing the elimination diet. My husband is a saint but I want him to at least have variety in the gluten-free meals he eats.

Again you are amazing and I feel so lucky to have found you and this forum!

Loey smile.gif

emmaparker Newbie

Very helpful list. I've just reciently learned about my gluten intorlerence so shopping has been difficult. I've been doing so much research online to find what I can or can't eat. I will be taking your list on my next shopping trip, so thank you. I would like to add one find of my own, first I must say I miss cookies the most, I just haven't found that replacement yet. Until I discovered The Good Cookies. Its a small online company that makes the most delicous cookies, you would never believe they are gluten-free, they are that good. You should check them out. www.thegoodcookies.com

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Loey,

Keeping the gluten foods in the same refrig should be ok as long as they don't mix. People sometimes keep a shelf just for gluten free foods and condiments, and mark all the gluten-free condiments with a marker. You could claim the top refrig shelf for gluten-free foods, and keep all the gluteny foods on lower shelfs. That way if something did fall off a gluteny food container, it would already be below the gluten-free foods so couldn't land on them. Some people have suggested getting condiments in squeeze bottles so you don't need a knife to get them out. Lessens the chance of cross contamination that way. And a separate toaster too.

I don't think it would be good to add quinoa too soon. Quinoa can be irritating to some people. It needs to be really well washed before cooking to get rid of the irritating chemicals in the seed coating. You shouldn't add anything new until you are feeling better. Have you double checked all your vitamins and meds? But you are very early in the E-diet still. It takes time. It's a simple method but it does take time. Getting started is good though! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

I never hit "add reply" to the post I wrote you last night. I don't have anything in my house with gluten it (to the very best of my knowledge). I spent a fortune on gluten-free products before and after we moved. I was just double checking with you that the gluten free meals I cooked for my husband before I started the elimination diet were all right to have in the same fridge with my chicken, rice, and apples. Your answer covers it.

I need to get apple juice for Sunday to prep for the capsule endoscopy. I need a clear liquid diet starting at noon. They have me taking MiraLAX twice in the evening before the procedure. I hope the capsule stays put for the 8 hours that the test takes. ohmy.gif

Thanks again for all of your great advice!

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I was at Walmart and asked the other day...they didn't know their products are labled! Now I know. I left and spent my money at a different store! :o

Here's a list of drugs that are supposedly gluten-free (of course read the labels). I hope this helps. I'll be happy to share any information I find. Again, This forum has already given me so much!

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Very helpful list. I've just reciently learned about my gluten intorlerence so shopping has been difficult. I've been doing so much research online to find what I can or can't eat. I will be taking your list on my next shopping trip, so thank you. I would like to add one find of my own, first I must say I miss cookies the most, I just haven't found that replacement yet. Until I discovered The Good Cookies. Its a small online company that makes the most delicous cookies, you would never believe they are gluten-free, they are that good. You should check them out. www.thegoodcookies.com

Here's a list of "supposedly gluten-free" drugs. As you know we still have to make sure we check all labels. Hope this helps.

Loey smile.gif

Loey Rising Star

Here's a list of "supposedly gluten-free" drugs. As you know we still have to make sure we check all labels. Hope this helps.

Loey smile.gif

Oops brain fog. I just noticed I already posted that information here. Sorry! ohmy.gif Getting ready to return the recorder from my capsule endoscopy. Now that's another story!

Loey

GFinDC Veteran

Oops brain fog. I just noticed I already posted that information here. Sorry! ohmy.gif Getting ready to return the recorder from my capsule endoscopy. Now that's another story!

Loey

That's a handy list Loey. I saved a copy of it for reference. Maybe you could start a new thread in the pre-diagnosis area for your capsule endoscopy? People have asked about them in the past. More info is not a bad thing for us curious minds. :)

Loey Rising Star

That's a handy list Loey. I saved a copy of it for reference. Maybe you could start a new thread in the pre-diagnosis area for your capsule endoscopy? People have asked about them in the past. More info is not a bad thing for us curious minds. :)

Good idea GFinDC! I'll do that now. Capsule endoscopy was not fun because I was constipated (MiraLAX didn't take until today). Didn't even know if they would let me have it but they did. Swallowing the capsule wasn't a problem.

Results take 2-3 weeks because it takes 55,000 pictures.

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Good idea GFinDC! I'll do that now. Capsule endoscopy was not fun because I was constipated (MiraLAX didn't take until today). Didn't even know if they would let me have it but they did. Swallowing the capsule wasn't a problem.

Results take 2-3 weeks because it takes 55,000 pictures.

Loey

Just an update on the endoscopy. My doctor called and they already looked at the pictures. They found an ulcer so that could be causing additional pain. I'll have to have a biopsy. I told him about the elimination diet and he said that vegetables should be safe (still avoiding corn, soy, etc.). He wants me to get my bulk. I ate a salad (sans dressing but with black olives) for dinner so I'll see how I feel tomorrow. He was totally different on the phone today (not dismissive) so perhaps i don't have to switch to a new doctor. He has an excellent reputation at the hospital here.

Loey

mushroom Proficient

If you are on an elimination diet, I would avoid quinoa. It is a grain many celiacs have problems with.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Loey,

Another way to get fiber is to add psyillium husks to your food, or mix a half teaspoon with a glass of water and drink it. I often add a little psyillium husks to my rice for more fiber. There is also powdered citrus fiber that people use. Some people report problems with raw veggies at first, so cooked veggies might be better.

Seems like the capsule endoscopy paid off. An ulcer could certainly cause some pain.

Loey Rising Star

If you are on an elimination diet, I would avoid quinoa. It is a grain many celiacs have problems with.

Thanks! GFinDC also told that me that. This forum has been awesome!!!!!

I found out yesterday that I also have an ulcer. I had my capsule endoscopy on Monday and was pleasantly surprised that they looked at all of the pictures (55,000) yesterday. My doctor wants me to add more items into my diet. I'ill have a biopsy for the ulcer. He thinks that may have been part of my recent flare and the sever pain I'm experiencing. I was actually relieved to hear that there could be something in addition to the Celiac because I had been feeling a lot better when I initially started the gluten-free diet.

Loey smile.gif

Loey Rising Star

Thanks! GFinDC also told that me that. This forum has been awesome!!!!!

I found out yesterday that I also have an ulcer. I had my capsule endoscopy on Monday and was pleasantly surprised that they looked at all of the pictures (55,000) yesterday. My doctor wants me to add more items into my diet. I'ill have a biopsy for the ulcer. He thinks that may have been part of my recent flare and the sever pain I'm experiencing. I was actually relieved to hear that there could be something in addition to the Celiac because I had been feeling a lot better when I initially started the gluten-free diet.

Loey smile.gif

Thanks for always giving me such helpful advice!!!!

Loey smile.gif

Archived