1 reply to this topic

#1 pinktroll

pinktroll

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

As spring break approaches, so does our first camping trip of the year. Prior to being gluten-free we always made a dutch oven cobbler that consisted of fruit on the bottom and then a yellow cake mix (just the mix) dumped on top , a cube of butter diced over the top and then a can of sprite poured over the whole concoction. We baked this in the dutch oven and then served it with ice cream or whipped cream. I have tried it with the Kinnikinnick and the gluten-free Pantry cake mixes but they both turn out gritty when done this way. I am wondering if I need to actually mix up the mixes before I put it over the fruit or if I need to find an actual cobbler recipe to use instead. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh, if you're unsure what a dutch oven is, basically it's a cast iron pot that you use to cook over coals. It works like an actual oven when you put coals on the bottom and top of it. Thanks for your help-we're really missing our campfire treat!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

My xperience with all gluten-free flours has been that they behave better when they are wet for a while before baking. Some people have no trouble with this, but no matter what I cook or bake, unless it's just something that's breaded, I have to put togeter the dough or batter, and then let it sit for at least ten minutes. I never get that gritty result that way. I'm not sure about the sprite thing, but I know my stuff works best when I let it sit for a while. I usually put the dough together, clean up, then turn on the oven to preheat and then put it in. Always comes out perfect, even the stuff that needs to rise in the oven a lot.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: