Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Reaction Relevance To Damage?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I posed this question in another post that's been on the board for awhile, however I think it got buried! ;)

I am a very fortunate Celiac I think, I don't have very strong reactions when I get "glutinated". On average if I get contaminated I will be on the toilet first thing in the AM for a bought of diarrhea. If I've got into something more, I may make two or three trips in the same day. Generally I think that is about it, although the more reading I do in this forum, the more I suspect that I may be having other minor symptoms that I've previously attributed to other things, like PMS and stress! :blink:

My question is.... is there any relation to the severity of reaction to the severity of damage in the intestine? Would a person who has a severe reaction have more damage to the intestine than one that has a mild one? Or does it work this way?

I look forward to hearing from all you experts! :D

Ads by Google:

No relevance that I know of. I was so SEVERELY damaged I was dying yet I have no or very little reaction to gluten, or at least to small mistakes.

richard

Yeah I agree..some people don't have symtoms but it doesn't mean you don't have damage. It's just the way bodies react..they all react differently.

<_< That's pretty much what I figured! Darn! :( Oh well, I am gluten-free as completely as one can be! I just worry that some hidden sources will continue to do the damage due to the fact that I don't know when I'm being "glutinated"! I tend to go with my gut so to speak :P if I don't have any noticeable reaction to something that appears gluten-free, then I trust it is. I haven't resorted to some of the strict measures I've read about such as phoning the manufacturer etc. If it's something I would use ALOT then I would, such as toothpaste etc. FYI, I use Sensodyne, and although the company did the standard "cover our butts" disclaimer, I have been using it without reaction for over a year.

Thanks for the input!

Lol! I've reacted to Sensodyne. That wasn't a fun surprise! (I'm not that sensitive, but apparently a bit more than you. Meh... We're all different! :-) )

So in fact, the Sensodyne could be doing me damage and I'm not getting a reaction?? :blink:

Maybe I just spit better than you? :lol:

I suppose it could also be a contaminant in the batch you had?

Who's to know??? :(

I thought I was the same, just a few trips to the bathroom after a gluten experience, no big deal.

Then I realized that I was also feeling incredibly TIRED, and it was due to the gluten!

It's so nice to have energy again, and to not have to run to the bathroom 3/4 times a day, that I don't ever lapse.

I have called few manufacturers, but I have become familiar with what products are gluten free, and I always make sure to read labels.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Ugh!  So, you have early stages of celiac disease and that was after being gluten light?  It is a shame that your doctor is not comfortable about giving you a formal diagnosis because you don't have enough damage!  Time for a new GI.  You can also as for another pathologist to read your biopsies, but seriously....... Have a conversation with your current doctor about the reasons why he is hesitating.  He would rather you continue to become more ill or improve your health?   Are you going to be scarred for life with a celiac disease diagnosis? Maybe he is one of those people who think it is impossible to live with wheat, rye or barley!   I don't get it! 
    • Thanks for the comments. With Dr. Google, I have seen mast cell disorder pop up.  It seems like I need to eliminate some basics before heading in that direction. So, another question...is it possible that symptoms of celiac need time to "build up" over time? For instance,  I started reintroducing gluten and coffee last week to prepare for my GI appt.  However, nothing really seemed to happen except a little knee crankyness (which I can easily attribute to hiking).  Yet, yesterday I had a huge bagel at work, had itchy forearms, and then had two huge hives appear later.  Today, I had another bagel and in a few hours I had a few red fingers that were itchy and numb feeling in the tips.   I know histamine intolerance is a possibility, but wouldn't that show up as an extremely large hive with my allergy skin test? Also, I had to go into work today and yesterday. I'm wondering if that environment could contribute to the issue (I'm a high school teacher).  
    • Hi Fidel, The original poster hasn't been on the site for several years, so you may not get a response from them. But welcome to the forum!  
    • False positive or negative?  I was diagnosed with Coeliac and the more rare Dermatitis Herpetiforma.  I know that symptoms like youre describing could be a whole variety of conditions.  I have a friend who has ulcerative colitis whose symptoms are similar to what you are describing.  You could have ulcers, but keeping it real i have to say youre also describing opiate withdrawl.  So if youve been on pain killers prescibed or not that could be it also.  Best of luck
    • Hi Megan, Regarding dairy, celiac disease damages the villi that make the lactase enzyme that digests milk sugar (lactose).  So sometimes people can't digest dairy well when they first start the gluten-free diet.   Over time that may change as you heal.  The ability to digest dairy doesn't always come back, but it may. Throwing up can be caused by excess gas in the stomach.  That's pretty common when starting the diet.  Sugar and carbs will make it worse.  Udi's bagels are made of various flours so they are full of carbs.  Carbs are turned into sugar in the body and that feeds the bacteria, hence the gas. You could be reacting to various foods, so eliminating one problem food is not going to fix all the problems.  I think it would be more helpful to start by following the tips in my earlier post than to  try a full fledged elimination diet at this point.  Elimination diets can take a while to do. If you can stick to eating meats, vegetables, nuts for now that is a good thing.  No processed foods (like Udi's) or other baked goods.  This is probably the fastest way to get better and learn what is safe to eat.  Once you are feeling better for a few weeks then you can try adding in one new food a week and see how it goes.  The gluten-free diet is a lifetime commitment so you may as well start out right and take your time.  Whole foods are a good way to go at the beginning.  If you cook your own food you know what is in it.  That's important to know for us.  Avoiding any processed food with more than 3 ingredients is also good.  The fewer ingredients you are eating the simpler it is to figure out a problem. I wouldn't worry about the idea of the throwing up thing making you react to dairy.  Celiac is known to cause a problem with dairy intolerance.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    FidelCash-Flow