Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Reaction Relevance To Damage?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I posed this question in another post that's been on the board for awhile, however I think it got buried! ;)

I am a very fortunate Celiac I think, I don't have very strong reactions when I get "glutinated". On average if I get contaminated I will be on the toilet first thing in the AM for a bought of diarrhea. If I've got into something more, I may make two or three trips in the same day. Generally I think that is about it, although the more reading I do in this forum, the more I suspect that I may be having other minor symptoms that I've previously attributed to other things, like PMS and stress! :blink:

My question is.... is there any relation to the severity of reaction to the severity of damage in the intestine? Would a person who has a severe reaction have more damage to the intestine than one that has a mild one? Or does it work this way?

I look forward to hearing from all you experts! :D

Ads by Google:

No relevance that I know of. I was so SEVERELY damaged I was dying yet I have no or very little reaction to gluten, or at least to small mistakes.

richard

Yeah I agree..some people don't have symtoms but it doesn't mean you don't have damage. It's just the way bodies react..they all react differently.

<_< That's pretty much what I figured! Darn! :( Oh well, I am gluten-free as completely as one can be! I just worry that some hidden sources will continue to do the damage due to the fact that I don't know when I'm being "glutinated"! I tend to go with my gut so to speak :P if I don't have any noticeable reaction to something that appears gluten-free, then I trust it is. I haven't resorted to some of the strict measures I've read about such as phoning the manufacturer etc. If it's something I would use ALOT then I would, such as toothpaste etc. FYI, I use Sensodyne, and although the company did the standard "cover our butts" disclaimer, I have been using it without reaction for over a year.

Thanks for the input!

Lol! I've reacted to Sensodyne. That wasn't a fun surprise! (I'm not that sensitive, but apparently a bit more than you. Meh... We're all different! :-) )

So in fact, the Sensodyne could be doing me damage and I'm not getting a reaction?? :blink:

Maybe I just spit better than you? :lol:

I suppose it could also be a contaminant in the batch you had?

Who's to know??? :(

I thought I was the same, just a few trips to the bathroom after a gluten experience, no big deal.

Then I realized that I was also feeling incredibly TIRED, and it was due to the gluten!

It's so nice to have energy again, and to not have to run to the bathroom 3/4 times a day, that I don't ever lapse.

I have called few manufacturers, but I have become familiar with what products are gluten free, and I always make sure to read labels.