- - - - -

Reaction Relevance To Damage?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:23 AM

Hi, I posed this question in another post that's been on the board for awhile, however I think it got buried! ;)
I am a very fortunate Celiac I think, I don't have very strong reactions when I get "glutinated". On average if I get contaminated I will be on the toilet first thing in the AM for a bought of diarrhea. If I've got into something more, I may make two or three trips in the same day. Generally I think that is about it, although the more reading I do in this forum, the more I suspect that I may be having other minor symptoms that I've previously attributed to other things, like PMS and stress! :blink:
My question is.... is there any relation to the severity of reaction to the severity of damage in the intestine? Would a person who has a severe reaction have more damage to the intestine than one that has a mild one? Or does it work this way?
I look forward to hearing from all you experts! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:30 AM

No relevance that I know of. I was so SEVERELY damaged I was dying yet I have no or very little reaction to gluten, or at least to small mistakes.

richard

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:40 AM

Yeah I agree..some people don't have symtoms but it doesn't mean you don't have damage. It's just the way bodies react..they all react differently.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:30 AM

<_< That's pretty much what I figured! Darn! :( Oh well, I am gluten-free as completely as one can be! I just worry that some hidden sources will continue to do the damage due to the fact that I don't know when I'm being "glutinated"! I tend to go with my gut so to speak :P if I don't have any noticeable reaction to something that appears gluten-free, then I trust it is. I haven't resorted to some of the strict measures I've read about such as phoning the manufacturer etc. If it's something I would use ALOT then I would, such as toothpaste etc. FYI, I use Sensodyne, and although the company did the standard "cover our butts" disclaimer, I have been using it without reaction for over a year.
Thanks for the input!

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:12 AM

Lol! I've reacted to Sensodyne. That wasn't a fun surprise! (I'm not that sensitive, but apparently a bit more than you. Meh... We're all different! :-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:09 PM

So in fact, the Sensodyne could be doing me damage and I'm not getting a reaction?? :blink:
Maybe I just spit better than you? :lol:
I suppose it could also be a contaminant in the batch you had?
Who's to know??? :(

#7 SharonF

SharonF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

I thought I was the same, just a few trips to the bathroom after a gluten experience, no big deal.

Then I realized that I was also feeling incredibly TIRED, and it was due to the gluten!

It's so nice to have energy again, and to not have to run to the bathroom 3/4 times a day, that I don't ever lapse.

I have called few manufacturers, but I have become familiar with what products are gluten free, and I always make sure to read labels.
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: