This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nacho Cheese

jlbroyles23

jlbroyles23 Rookie

I am assuming I screwed up today. I was at a craft show and of course it's hard to find something not breaded at the concessions. I chose cheese fries for my meal. #1 I'm pretty new at this and I forgot about the fryers being used for other things besides fries and #2 now I am not so sure the nacho cheese was safe. I have been really tired and very irritable since eating them. I am assuming I have been glutened, but was wondering if any one has the same side effects all the time when accidentally glutened or does it vary depending on how much and was it directly or indirectly (cross contam.)? Has anyone had problems with nacho cheese sauce? What is a good thing to choose when at places with concessions or do I just starve!! :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

A quick search on google confirmed what I already knew. Cheese sauce, including nacho cheese sauce, typically contains flour as a thickening agent and/or filler. I've also discovered that "queso", whether in a bowl as an appetizer, or on a dish such as enchiladas with queso sauce, contains flour. The cheese in cheese enchiladas may not. But the chile con carne sauce usually does. I've only found one mexican restaurant so far that doesn't, and it's not a chain.

Also, the sour cream chicken enchiladas have flour in the sauce at every mexican restaurant I've checked. Bummer.

Check the recipe websites such as epicurious, cooks, recipezar, allrecipes, etc. The nacho cheese sauce recipes contain flour.

best regards, lm

Green Eyes Rookie

Hello jlbroyles,

I can't speak for everyone else, but when I get glutened it seems to be the amount for me. I'm still trying to figure it but there are times I will have mild gas for a couple of hours to upset stomach for three days. I have very little side effects and have been able to eat anything (except gluten - like dairy) while my intestine is healing.

As for eating away from home. I still make sure I carry something with me. I prefer not to guess with others handling my food (I'm a control freak that way). I usually leave a snack bar, chips, or even m & m's for a snack in my purse.

Jennifer

elonwy Enthusiast

Nacho cheese in general is not safe, though there are a few brands that are. The frito Lay one is, as is at least one of their Quesos (check the labels). I hardly ever eat fries out side my house anymore. Finding a dedicated fryer is difficult, and many of the prepackaged fry brands for restaurants are coated in stuff that has gluten in it. Better safe than sorry on that one.

Archived