This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pretty Sure It's Not Allergies, But My Other Theory Is Sort Of Out There...

IChaseFrisbees

Bell Apprentice

AliB, I appreciate your repeated references to the SCD.

I'd been feeling somewhat better on the gluten-free diet, but old symptoms were creeping back in. I was quite sure i wasn't being glutened, so I cut out pretty much all starchy carbs and sugars for a week. As a result i am suddenly filled with energy, my skin looks clearer, and the mental fog has dispersed. I will be looking into the diet a little more carefully now, and am grateful I knew the basics from this site.

I understand that it's important to keep different medical theories in context, and remember that we're not all identical - what works for one person may not work for another, but I can only remember ever seeing you mention the Specific Carbohydrate diet as a genuine response to somebody who had come onto these forums asking for the help of the community, because they'd found that the basic gluten free thing just wasn't enough.

For most of us here, the generally accepted rules about nutrition just don't apply. How could we possibly NOT inform ourselves about the other possibilities?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran
Hey everybody, so from following my food diary this is as much as I've surmised:

Eating 1 apple or orange a day makes me a little gassy, but eating any more than that gives me outright bad digestive symptoms. Eating any carby foods (potatoes, rice, corn...) gives me bad symptoms.

I've been reading "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and the SCD seems to be the right thing for me, but I also need to address the yeast problem. I was at +1 before I took an antibiotic, so who knows how bad it is now, but the reaction to fruit isn't a good sign.

My question is how do I talk to a nutritionists/naturopath about the SCD? I know docs hate it when you come in and say "wel I read on the internet..." So how can I talk to them without sounding like I'm trying to do their job?

Hi Frisbee,

Look what I found on the internet!!!! :)

This is from Wiki and talks about fructose malabsorbtion. I don't know if it applies to you or not, but I thot it might help you in your research. Lets get those doctors straightened out eh!? LOL I am not real familiar with the SCD myself, can't help you there.

Open Original Shared Link

Fructose malabsorption or Dietary Fructose Intolerance is a digestive disorder[1] of the small intestine in which the fructose carrier in enterocytes is deficient. As a result of this problem, the concentration of fructose in the entire intestine is increased. Fructose malabsorption is found in approximately 30-40% of the population of Central Europe, with about half of the affected individuals exhibiting symptoms.[

Symptoms

This condition is common in patients with symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and most patients with fructose malabsorption fit the profile of those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.[9] A small proportion of patients with both fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance also suffer from celiac disease.

Typical symptoms of fructose malabsorption include:

* Bloating (because of fermentation in the small and large intestine)

* Diarrhea and / or constipation

* Flatulence

* Stomach pain (due to muscle spasms, which can vary from mild and chronic to acute but erratic)

Other possible symptoms of fructose malabsorption include:

* Aching eyes

* Fuzzy head

* Fatigue

* Depression[10] as a result of absorption disorders in the small and large intestines, other substances such as amino acids are not absorbed. Because of missing substances (among others tryptophan), hormones and neurotransmitters cannot be synthesized.

IChaseFrisbees Explorer
Hi Frisbee,

Look what I found on the internet!!!! :)

This is from Wiki and talks about fructose malabsorbtion. I don't know if it applies to you or not, but I thot it might help you in your research. Lets get those doctors straightened out eh!? LOL I am not real familiar with the SCD myself, can't help you there.

Open Original Shared Link

Fructose malabsorption or Dietary Fructose Intolerance is a digestive disorder[1] of the small intestine in which the fructose carrier in enterocytes is deficient. As a result of this problem, the concentration of fructose in the entire intestine is increased. Fructose malabsorption is found in approximately 30-40% of the population of Central Europe, with about half of the affected individuals exhibiting symptoms.[

Symptoms

This condition is common in patients with symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and most patients with fructose malabsorption fit the profile of those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.[9] A small proportion of patients with both fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance also suffer from celiac disease.

Typical symptoms of fructose malabsorption include:

* Bloating (because of fermentation in the small and large intestine)

* Diarrhea and / or constipation

* Flatulence

* Stomach pain (due to muscle spasms, which can vary from mild and chronic to acute but erratic)

Other possible symptoms of fructose malabsorption include:

* Aching eyes

* Fuzzy head

* Fatigue

* Depression[10] as a result of absorption disorders in the small and large intestines, other substances such as amino acids are not absorbed. Because of missing substances (among others tryptophan), hormones and neurotransmitters cannot be synthesized.

That's very interesting...Gosh, I'd like to think it's just yeast that's the problem right now!! I'm going to do another stool test to check the yeast, if it's still excessive than I guess I'll have to assume that's my problem, thank you very much however for bringing this up in case my symptoms don't clear up!

AliB Enthusiast
AliB, I appreciate your repeated references to the SCD.

I'd been feeling somewhat better on the gluten-free diet, but old symptoms were creeping back in. I was quite sure i wasn't being glutened, so I cut out pretty much all starchy carbs and sugars for a week. As a result i am suddenly filled with energy, my skin looks clearer, and the mental fog has dispersed. I will be looking into the diet a little more carefully now, and am grateful I knew the basics from this site.

I understand that it's important to keep different medical theories in context, and remember that we're not all identical - what works for one person may not work for another, but I can only remember ever seeing you mention the Specific Carbohydrate diet as a genuine response to somebody who had come onto these forums asking for the help of the community, because they'd found that the basic gluten free thing just wasn't enough.

For most of us here, the generally accepted rules about nutrition just don't apply. How could we possibly NOT inform ourselves about the other possibilities?

Thanks Bell for your support. As far as the references to the SCD are concerned I have merely been trying to pass on what was given to me and for which I am exceedingly grateful. I came to this site as a raw gluten-free 'recruit' after gluten-free initially removed the awful stomach pain and diarrhea, but frustrated because my digestion could still not tolerate all these supposedly wonderful gluten-free 'goodies', or indeed much at all. The SCD was offered to me as a lifeline, and without it I would still have been struggling.

I am glad that you have had a good response to your little experiment.

Ali.

Archived