This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Containing Ingredients List For Personal Care Products

Miss Emily

Miss Emily Apprentice

Below is a list of gluten containing/derived ingredients that may be found in personal care products.

Many companies will state that they label "gluten containing ingredients." However, because gluten ingredient names are so different in cosmetics, it can be difficult to point them out. Please use this list to find gluten free make up, shampoos, lotions, etc.

GLUTEN CONTAINING INGREDIENTS:

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE

HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN/PVP CROSSPOLYMER

HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH

HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN HYDROLYZED

STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL

TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS

TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT

TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL

VITAMIN E DERIVED FROM WHEAT GERM OIL

WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPALKONIUM CHLORIDE

WHEATGERMAMIDOPROPYL ETHYLDIMONIUM ETHOSULFATE

WHEAT AMINO ACIDS

WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT

WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL

WHEAT GERM EXTRACT

WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES

WHEAT GERM OIL

WHEAT PROTEIN

WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX

BARLEY EXTRACT

BARLEY LIPIDS

HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT

HYDROLYZED MALT EXTRACT

PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT

SAMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX

RYE DERIVED INGREDIENTS

SECALE CEREALE (RYE) SEED FLOUR

OAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AVENA SATIVA (OAT) KERNEL PROTEIN

HYDROLYZED OAT FLOUR

OAT AMINO ACIDS

OAT (AVENA SATIVA) EXTRACT

OAT BETA GLUCANOAT EXTRACT

OAT FLOURSODIUM LAUROYL

SAVENA SATIVA (OAT) FLOUR

MISC.

CYCLODEXTRIN

DEXTRIN

DEXTRIN PALMITATE

HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN

MALTODEXTRIN

Hopefully this is helpful! Please feel free to post corrections, additions, etc. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jeremiah Apprentice

I was under the impression that some malodextrin was okay...

Miss Emily Apprentice
I was under the impression that some malodextrin was okay...

I am not sure about that one and I would have to learn more about what it is, it may be one of those ingredients that may or may not be derived from a glutenous source. For that reason it is under "Miscellaneous." If you find more information about it please post it to this topic! Thanks!

LDJofDenver Apprentice
I am not sure about that one and I would have to learn more about what it is, it may be one of those ingredients that may or may not be derived from a glutenous source. For that reason it is under "Miscellaneous." If you find more information about it please post it to this topic! Thanks!

Here's a link to gluten free living, where it lists a description of maltodextrin:

Open Original Shared Link

And I've read on this forum that MaltoDextrin used in food in the US is derived from corn (or potato) and must be mentioned on the label if not.

Miss Emily Apprentice
Here's a link to gluten free living, where it lists a description of maltodextrin:

And I've read on this forum that MaltoDextrin used in food in the US is derived from corn (or potato) and must be mentioned on the label if not.

Thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Labeling laws for food and cosmetics do differ, supplements too for that matter. Maltodextrin can also be derived from barley. Chances are very good that it is going to be derived from a gluten free source but it someone is very sensitive it might be a good idea to call and ask the Makeup company what it is derived from.

Archived