5 replies to this topic

#1 RacerRex9727

RacerRex9727

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

I am kind of skeptical of dark-colored soft drinks because I've been doing a lot of reading on "caramel coloring" and I'm finding people are questioning whether or not Coke's caramel coloring is consistently gluten free. I might be mistaken because I recently found out I have problems with soy, but I think Pibb, Dr. Pepper, Coke, and other soft drinks make me not feel so good. I don't know if it would be the caramel coloring or the carbonation messing up my digestive system. What do you guys think?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Coke and Dr. Pepper are gluten-free, not sure about Pibb. On occasion we have had coke, pepsi, mtn dew, dr. pepper, etc -- I also checked the generic brand from Albertson's "chill" to save some money on root beer for my kids...they responded quickly that all their sodas are gluten-free.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 FMcGee

FMcGee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

Awww man! I thought this was a thread about 90s observational humor.

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

Carmel Coloring in the US is considered gluten-free

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

Carmel Coloring in the US is considered gluten-free

And in Canada, too. The Canadian Celiac Association considers caramel color to be safe regardless of the source to the starch from which it was made.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:28 AM

The bottom line really is that if it bothers you avoid it. I know it is nice to really know why something doesn't sit well but sometimes we just don't know. I really like pepsi but I end up sick if I drink more than one so I usually stick with 7up unless I have a real need for the caffiene. All sodas especially the ones made with high fructose corn syrup have a great deal of sugar, most have a daily allowance in one 16 oz bottle. I find mixing a fruit juice with a bit of plain soda water 1/4 to 3/4 to be very refreshing and the fruit juice gives at least a small amount of vitamin C.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: