Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What's The Deal With Soft Drinks?

6 posts in this topic

I am kind of skeptical of dark-colored soft drinks because I've been doing a lot of reading on "caramel coloring" and I'm finding people are questioning whether or not Coke's caramel coloring is consistently gluten free. I might be mistaken because I recently found out I have problems with soy, but I think Pibb, Dr. Pepper, Coke, and other soft drinks make me not feel so good. I don't know if it would be the caramel coloring or the carbonation messing up my digestive system. What do you guys think?

Ads by Google:

Coke and Dr. Pepper are gluten-free, not sure about Pibb. On occasion we have had coke, pepsi, mtn dew, dr. pepper, etc -- I also checked the generic brand from Albertson's "chill" to save some money on root beer for my kids...they responded quickly that all their sodas are gluten-free.

Awww man! I thought this was a thread about 90s observational humor.

Carmel Coloring in the US is considered gluten-free

Carmel Coloring in the US is considered gluten-free

And in Canada, too. The Canadian Celiac Association considers caramel color to be safe regardless of the source to the starch from which it was made.

The bottom line really is that if it bothers you avoid it. I know it is nice to really know why something doesn't sit well but sometimes we just don't know. I really like pepsi but I end up sick if I drink more than one so I usually stick with 7up unless I have a real need for the caffiene. All sodas especially the ones made with high fructose corn syrup have a great deal of sugar, most have a daily allowance in one 16 oz bottle. I find mixing a fruit juice with a bit of plain soda water 1/4 to 3/4 to be very refreshing and the fruit juice gives at least a small amount of vitamin C.