Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Any Way To Counter Act Gluten Once Accidentally Injested?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 s-haas

s-haas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

I am newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I was diagnosed after I finally became so sick I was hospitalized for a week. I have tried very hard to avoid Gluten since my symptoms are very severe. Most of my symptoms have disappeared since eating gluten free. Once in a while I accidentally injest gluten while at a restaurant or through hidden ingrediants. When this happens, within a few minutes I get asthma symptems and very nauseaus. Always the next day I will have extreme edema in my hands and legs. Is there any way to counter act or stop the adsorption of the gluten when you realize that things start to go wrong? I hope some of you who are more experienced with eating gluten free might have some advice. Again, I am not eathing gluten on purpose and I wish gluten would just disappear from my world. It is a bit frightening when the symptoms come on and I feel helpless when I don't know what to do except take an inhaler and hope for the best. Thanks for your help and advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

First off mention the asthmatic symptoms to your doctor. You may have a true allergy to wheat in addition to celiac. If that is the case your doctor might want to have you carry an Epi-pen.
Unfortunately there isn't much that we can do once the gluten reaction starts. I find Pepto Bismal helps with the stomach pain I get and I take for sure gluten-free asprin to help with the inflammation. Drinking lots of water might help but for the most part for me time is the true healer.
You may want to avoid restaurants for a bit till you have healed more. Also if you can go with unprocessed whole foods that are naturally gluten free that will help also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

Ditto everything ravenwood said. Right on the money!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 CGally81

CGally81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

I'd always taken L-glutamine. It definitely seemed to help. Chewable, gluten-free (of course), L-glutamine. It seems to stop the symptoms in less than an hour, even the "brain fog" symptoms.

It can't hurt. It's only bad for you if you have kidney or liver problems, otherwise, it only has health benefits. The only side effect is that it's been known to reduce appetite for starch and sugar (which is in fact another reason it's used - to help dieters and alcoholics reduce cravings).
Born 1981. Is also autistic - officially diagnosed.
Started having fructose-related problems in late 2008.
Started noticing gluten-related symptoms around March 2009.
Discovered the problem and went (mostly) gluten-free in early August 2009. Promptly became hungry all the time.
I can tolerate fructose again now.
Went dairy-lite in mid December 2009, then casein-free in early January 2010. Hunger shot up again twice.
Hunger apparently mostly normal in mid February 2010.
Started taking fish oil in July 2010, then got new symptoms. Got different new symptoms when I stopped, and hunger shot up AGAIN.

#5 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

the other night I felt all bloaty and couldn't figure out why, and then I had some homemade yogurt for dessert and a short time after that I didn't feel so bloaty. I don't know for certain if I got glutened, but something wasn't quite right, but the yogurt seemed to help for some reason. Maybe the bacteria in it.

#6 gaingus

gaingus

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:35 AM

I agree with a lot of what everyone has posted. Some other things I do also is take gas-ex, just make sure to read the label, there is one that doesn't have "hidden gluten" in it. I also take some benadryl (sp) and tylenol. Other than that lots and lots of water to flush out my system.

#7 JustLovely9216

JustLovely9216

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Just my random ideas of what I do that makes me feel better:

Ginger tea and yogurt to aid with digestion.

Exercise to release toxins and aid in digestions.

Warm bath with Epsom salt toxins.

Don't know why, but they do help me!

#8 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

CGally, what brand of L-Glutamine do you use? And do you use tablets or powder drink mix?

Vitacost.com has diet and sport aids on special, and there are a few options for L-Glutamine. I couldn't find any locally, but I think I might like to try it and keep it around in case of future glutenings.

Are there other benefits to using it? I'm a lot carb-er anyhow, so I don't eat starch or sugars!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: