Gluten Free Easy Sponge Cake
Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:39 PM
Makes one sponge cake (length of a jelly roll pan or full sized cookie sheet), serves plenty! (depending on the size of your slices.
8 eggs, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup potato starch (NOT flour!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
1 teaspoon gluten-free lemon extract
1 teaspoon gluten-free almond extract
freshly whipped cream
fresh fruit (strawberries and blueberries)
powdered sugar (for dusting)
1. Separate the egg whites and the yolks.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks until light yellow and creamy - about 2 - 3 minutes)
4. Sift together powdered sugar, potato starch (not flour!) and salt.
5. Add sifted dry ingredients to the beaten egg yolks and mix thoroughly.
6. Add the extracts. Mix again.
7. Using a spatula or spoon (not your mixer!), gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
8. Preheat the oven to 325F.
9. Line a jelly roll pan or a full sized cookie sheet pan with parchment paper.
10. Gently smooth the cake batter out to the length of your pan with even depth. (My pan is 18" by 13" - and the batter is about 2/3 - 1" thick).
11. Bake the cake for 15 minutes then turn off the oven and open the oven door. (I open the oven by cracking it open about 2-3 inches.)
12. Leave the cake to cool in the oven for 5-8 minutes.
13. Remove from oven and cool.
14. Gently lift the cooled cake up off the parchment paper just to loosen it from the paper. Lay the cake back down on to the paper. You will use the parchment to help you roll the cake.
15. Top with freshly whipped cream and fresh fruit slices.
16. Have a piece of fresh parchment paper the length of your cake OR a serving platter that fits nearby. Use the parchment paper to help you roll the cake. (I roll it so I have LONG cake rather than rolling the short end and have a HUGE rolled cake.)
Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:15 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users