Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need To Find A Dentist

4 posts in this topic

I haven't been to a dentist for almost 5 years. I know I should have gone sooner, but I have not had dental insurance until recently and I never had any problems with my teeth. I do have problems with my gums bleeding a lot though. Even when I floss twice a day. Strange thing is my gums have started to get healthier since going gluten free. They bleed less often now and I also don't get mouth ulcers/canker sores which I used to get frequently. So with this in mind, how do I go about talking to a new dentist about celiac/gluten intolerance?

Or do I need to tell them at all?

Is there a list somewhere of dentists that are celiac savvy (probably not, but I thought I would ask)?

How do you find a good dentist anyway (regardless of gluten issues)? I have never had to find one. My dentist I went to 4.5 years ago was my childhood dentist and he has since retired (and we live 1000 miles away anyway).

I'm nervous to go after not being to one for so long. Y'all can lecture me on the dangers of gum disease. I need a swift kick in the hiney to get me to go to the dentist. I HATED going as a kid and the only reason I went to one 4.5 years ago is that I needed to have my wisdom teeth out. :o

Advice/lectures/commiseration all welcome :D Thanks.

Ads by Google:

Well, definitely ask them if they are aware of celiac disease, ans can use gluten free products on you. some dentists have you take anti-biotics nowadays before a cleaning or filling. So need to verify those are gluten-free also if the prescribe them.

Asking people you know what a good dentist is would be a good bet to find one. Or if you have insurance now check your provider's listing to find dentists in your plan.

They make some really nice electric tooth brushes now , there is an oral B Pro Smart Series 5000 that does a nice job. Much better than the cheap ones at the grocery store. Pricey though. But worth it.

Yes, definitely tell them. In intake forms, they will usually ask about allergies, and you can just list it there. Then, when the dentist reviews it and brings it up, you can mention that you need to check all products before they are used on you, etc. Easy!

Good luck!

Gum issues can be due to inflammation so it is not surprising that your issues there have improved. They have for me also. I did 'interviews' when I was looking for a dentist I simply went in to talk to them before I made an appointment. If they were clueless I simply moved on. I have had a couple that were knowledgeable about celiac, one was so paranoid about glutening me she even checked the cotton balls. LOL Unfortunately she was a lousy dentist so I moved on and have crowns that will need to be redone. My dentist now is great, he didn't know much about celiac when I first saw him but he was quite willing to learn. Much of what they use is safe anyway but the flavoring in the tooth polish and flavoring in the numbing gel used before they give you a needle should be checked.

If you are fearful of dentists there are also sedation dentists who if you need a lot of work can give you oral sedation. Mine now can't legally do that but he was fine with my getting something from my doctor to self sedate when I had to have 5 teeth pulled in one sitting. Going into the dentist after years of not going was one of the best things I ever did for myself. Sometimes we don't realize how much pain we are in until its gone. Good for you for getting yourself in there. Just ask questions first and you will be fine. Dentists see lots of folks that haven't been in years, they won't chastise you for it.