1 reply to this topic

#1 Alexander_C

Alexander_C

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hey everyone. I'm new. 24 yo male. I will start with a quick intro to my story. I have been having the "typical" GI symptoms of celiac disease since I was around 17. Struggled off and on with episodes of extreme GI sickness and then months of being mildly nauseous and gassy. I was always a thin kid, but since about 17, I couldn't put any weight on. Grew taller, stayed around the same weight. I was always just told I would "fill in" when I got to my early 20s. Here I am at 24 and still very underweight and getting more sick by the week it seems. Some days I feel like I'm dying. It wasn't until about 1 year or so ago that I started having neurological symptoms that my doctors began taking me serious instead of brushing me off as having anxiety. My right eye became blurry, I was extremely fatigued, muscle spasms, and so the neurologist I was referred to suspected MS. My MRI came back normal so he then suspected celiac since I fit the bill and he understands there is a correlation between celiac disease and other autoimmune diseases.That was a year ago. Since then I have finally been referred to a good gastroenterologist who ran some blood work a few weeks ago. I tested positive for celiac. I am scheduled to have the endoscopy in 2 days to FINALLY confirm this as celiac once and for all. It feels like I have been living an eternity in misery with no clue as to what is wrong with me.

My main question (and I read a little in another thread but I wanted to introduce myself and get some new answers going): Did anyone else's lipase levels come back abnormal when you did the celiac blood work? I am suspecting something is off with my pancreas on top of (or because of) my undiagnosed celiac disease...

Also, feel free to give me any advice or experiences with the endoscopy. A bit nervous :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SaraKat

SaraKat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

I just got a positive blood test too (I am 35 y/o female). I have to have the endo next week and I am nervous too, but everyone I talk to says it really isn't a big deal at all. My BIL who is not a fan of getting blood tests, etc has had 2 endo's and even he said it was OK.

Regarding the lipase levels, mine were normal, but my iron/ferritin has been way off for years now and I never knew why.

I didn't have any of the typical celiac digestive symptoms and really never even heard of this disease, so I am shocked by my positive blood test. I just have bad upper left quadrant pain and have been mildly gassy over the years when I eat "junk food". I think the anemia should have been my red flag. My main symptom that made me keep going back to Dr's was the left sided pain- also in the rib cage.

Good luck!
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: