5 replies to this topic

#1 thleensd

thleensd

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

I know that some of us here (like myself) went through horrendous experiences and will therefore never knowingly touch gluten again. However, I know some people were diagnosed and didn't have many symptoms to speak of and don't get a physical reminder if some gluten slips in.

I'd like to be able to offer something concrete to someone I know that cheats once in a while since they don't get a reaction. Are there stories here or elsewhere I can point her to? She's smart, but young, away from home, and invincible. I can't just say, "you might get cancer" (like trying to tell a smoker to quit...). I don't think she'll come on here and browse on her own.

Thoughts?
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

If she knew there were a violent man who hated women, and loved to torture them, loose in the neighborhood, who had just escaped from jail, would she walk the streets alone at night? That is the equivalent of what she is doing, the kind of risk she is taking, if she continues to eat gluten. He may not find her, but if everyone else is indoors safe, he very well might. That is the kind of risk she is taking. If she is not afraid of harm, is not afraid of dying a tortured death, well I guess that is her business. There is nothing you can do to protect her. She may say she is a karate master and can defend herself - well, good luck. You can only fight back against gluten by avoiding it.

Not much help I am afraid for someone who won't listen.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

and unfortunately you cannot make anyone do things they don't want to...i was clearly sick for a LONG time without symptoms since the damage was so horrendous but if I had known sooner, I maybe could have avoided the HELL i am in right now. When it hit, it hit me hard and I was 42. Thought I would end up in a wheelchair from neurological symptoms. This diagnosis is a GIFT. She can avoid SO much trouble...Too bad she can;t come live in my broken body for a bit to see what her future likely holds.
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#4 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

Well, I lost almost 6% of my bone density 14 months, and of that time I was only clearly symptommatic for 2. Do the math, and she'll have stress fractures and non-traumtic breaks within 10 years. Yay, hip fractures in your thirties and forties! (Those results were very weird. Scared me silly, and it was just incidental that I worked in a research center and happened to demo/teach the scanner twice.)

Anemia is also insidious-- you adjust to the new "normal" but it is not normal to be out of breath after going up two flights of stairs at a normal pace.

Or maybe she'll develop a higher sensitivity and that problem will solve itself? Not that I actually wish that on anyone.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#5 color_me_confused

color_me_confused

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

Well, I lost almost 6% of my bone density 14 months, and of that time I was only clearly symptommatic for 2. Do the math, and she'll have stress fractures and non-traumtic breaks within 10 years.

Wow. That's a frightening rate - I had no idea that such bone loss was possible so quickly. I meet w/ my GI doc in 3 weeks and the gene test and a bone scan for a baseline on my list.

#6 annegirl

annegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Well, cancer isn't as far out as she might think. I just lost a friend to cancer at 35. He had Crohn's not Celiac, but it's similar enough to be scary (I have another friend with Crohn's that manages her disease by being gluten free).

He was sick at 32 with cancer, got it to go into remission and then it came back right after he met his girlfriend. He passed away a month ago.

It's just not worth it to mess around with your life. It might seem ok when you're young....but it will bite you in the butt later.

This from a girl who NSAID her way to leaky gut at 15 {braces hurt!} and suffered through 13 years of chronic pain, illness and allergies before discovering what the underlying issue was.
Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Corn, Coffee, Caffeine, Pork Freeeeeee

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: