This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Broken Bone

musikate

musikate Apprentice

Just wondering what ya'll think...

I broke my leg a year ago last March. I just went gluten-free 3 weeks ago because of a positive blood test (tTG, though my doc still thinks I don't have celiac disease!), and feel significant improvements overall (although I'm having a rough tummy day today).

Do you think I might have problems with bone density/osteoporosis which contributed to my broken leg? After all, I broke it just tripping on a crack in the sidewalk while walking rather slowly. I thought at the time that it was odd it should have broken so easily. How can I get my doc to order a bone density test if he doesn't even think I have celiac disease?

Furthermore, BTW, one of the most amazing things about going gluten-free is that many of the extra-intestinal symptoms I had began to improve immediately. I had trichotillomania (a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder in which I pulled out my hair), keratinosis (lots of rough red bumps on my arms), asthma/allergies, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, acid reflux, Bipolar disorder, joint pain, chronically puffy face, ADD and forgetfulness, carpel tunnel syndrome (I even had to stop playing piano and flute, plus had regular shots in my wrists), inguinal hernia, and chronic tonsillitis. I was diagnosed with adenomyosis and had my uterus removed two months ago, but now I wonder if that was a mistake! My IBS-diarrhea symptoms come and go still.

Thanks again,

Kate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ruddabega Apprentice

My goodness! You've had a heck of a time! I can understand somewhat though, I've had my bout of medical problems. Heart, endocrine, nerological, and tons of bone issues.

About osteoperosis. There are two things you should be aware of. One is that Celiacs often absorb too little zinc. Zinc contributes to calcium absorbtion by the bones, so if you are worried, I would take some zinc, and some NATURAL calcium. I take 50 mg of zinc/ day. Calcium is harder to take because your body only can absorb 200 mg (I think... but don't quote me) at a time. I take two calcium tablets per day, to make sure I get enough into the blood stream.

Calcium's absorbtion is also hindered by caffiene, so drink as little as possible. Another way to increase bone density is to do some weight bearing exersice, such as walking, running, jump roping, etc. Jump roping is an excellent way to burn calories, by the way, but it can be challanging with carple tunnel.

The other thing that worries me is that you have no uterus. This can often throw off one's hormone balance, since your body knows you aren't able to reproduce anymore. Hormones, especially estrogen in women, are a gigantic part of calcium absorbtion. In menopause, we lose these hormones, and our bone density decreases. I am not sure if you are getting enough estrogen, etc, but make sure that you do! It will help with bone density.

I hope that helps. Sorry to ramble!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Doesn't really matter how slow you were walking, but more on how you fell. But if you're concerned about it, do get a test. If nothing else, it'll be a good baseline to use for reference later!

Speedy bone-mending! (Don't forget to take a calcium/magneisum supplement! You need the magnesium (and vit D) for the calcium to do it's job.)

lbsteenwyk Explorer

Some hospitals do inexpensive bone density screens as a community service. Check with your local hospital to see if they offer anything like this.

nogluten- Newbie

Musikate,

Hello. If your leg broke that easily, you obviously need a bone density test. Can you see a rheumatologist without a referral from your doctor? If so, I would try to do that. If not, I would request a referral from your primary care physician and get that done asap. Any good rheumie will check your bone density,your vitamin d and calcium levels,hormones, plus some other stuff I don't know about - if they don't it's negligence and you should find yet another doctor. I have osteopenia and have been given a lot of good advice and meds for it since finding out about it. The sooner you start working with it the better your outcome will be. Good luck and take care.

Archived