3 replies to this topic

#1 thegirlsmom

thegirlsmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

Last January I gave up gluten to see if it would help my Alopecia Areata. Looking back I had a LOT of Cross contamination during the first 6 months but I still felt so much better. The only digestive issues I have ever had (which I have had my whole life) was constipation. I was basically constipated all the time with the exception of right before I ovulated and right before my period - when I would get so sick I would vomit. When I went gluten free, I became miraculously regular and had no cycle related stomach issues.
In July, I went to a naturalistic doctor to see about my Alopecia - I was still losing hair. She ran some tests and said I was likely celiac and needed to go dairy free as well. I have been dairy free ever since. I am still regular but twice a month again I get diareah!! I feel like I drank a glass of magnesium sulfate water for a whole day and then the next day I am all messed up. It seems like the same cycle as before I was gluten free but to the other extreme!!
Is there something I am missing here? Maybe a vitamin or mineral?? The last few days I have tested myself with a little dairy and at first I felt a little gassy, but other than that I feel great! And my stool is well formed again!
I almost feel like my body needs the dairy to balance something out.

Any ideas??

Oh and 60% of my hair has grown back since August.
Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 maitrimama

maitrimama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

My 15 yr old daughter was Dx with Celiacs and IBD last September her GI doctor (a well known and respected Pediatric GI) and he and the nutritionist made it clear that all gluten had to be removed from her died but dairy was fine, even encouraged, unless the dairy began to cause problems. That infact she needed the nutrion, calcium and calories, from dairy products.

#3 Metoo

Metoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Removing something from your diet, shouldn't cause problems, and it shouldn't cause problems just 2 times a month. To me it sounds like maybe your are being glutened and don't realize it. Your shampoo or vitamin? Or a drink or something!

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you feel better on dairy than off it, there is no reason to leave it out of your diet. Most of us folks who can't tolerate dairy get pretty obvious symptoms when we eat it. You may not be getting enough calcium without the dairy and that can cause diarrhea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: