2 replies to this topic

#1 faithforlife

faithforlife

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Can anyone recommend a website to purchase the test to check for gluten in food at home? I know it's pricey. I ask because there's one food I have often that is from a cc facility same oven but different baking sheets and different processing days- my Moms kitchen! I'd hate to reject her efforts to bake cookies for us- me and my 5 kiddos- ( I buy her the flour and all). I've told her all about the extreme caution she must take. The treats don't bother us, but I'd like to test them every once in awhile to be safe. She loves to do this for us. I'm still trying to convince her to get tested or go gluten-free as well!

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

This one seems to be recommended often.

http://www.ezgluten.com/

It tests down to 10 ppm, but there are some restrictions. For example, it's done using a liquid that has to wick up the test strip, so some things like a powder/flour may make the liquid to thick for the test to work properly.

The tests have instructions and discusses what you need to take into consideration, though, so it won't be too difficult to figure out. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

I have used these (EZ Gluten) and had a problem at first. After contacting the company they were very very helpful in determining the issue and then it was great. I will say, it takes a bit of time. It says "result in 10 minutes" but in reality the process is a minimum of 20-25minutes. Not an issue if you are at home but incase some people were thinking of doing it while out to eat, your food will be cold by the time the test is done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: