This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Freezing Gluten Free Cakes

CrystalDawn

CrystalDawn Newbie

Hello all,

This is my first post as I can usually find all the answer to my questions via the website or google; however, I have a query that has stumped me.

My fiancee and I are getting married next March and we want to have a gluten free/dairy free/egg free wedding cake; which I will be making. However, I wanted the whole wedding to be gluten/dairy free because I want it to be inclusive of us and a few other guests that we have (including children) who are gluten sensitive/intolerant.

Because of this, I will be making the cakes/cupcakes myself and I usually keep them frozen in the freezer until we need them; however I have only ever kept them in for a month or less. Does anyone know how long in advance I can start this undertaking? I don't want freezer burn on them, but I don't want to be baking tons of cupcakes and such a week before the wedding either.

I was thinking of using the Betty Crocker gluten-free mixes- has anyone ever frozen these for any length of time?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I use Bob's Red Mill Chocolate and Vanilla to make cakes and cupcakes and have frozen chocolate cupcakes...think the longest was just under a month as teens found my stash ;)

If you add choc chips (dark or semi-sweet) to the chocolate cake mix you get the most sinful chocolate cake...it is what I make for everyone's birthdays -- family, co-workers, etc. -- gluten eaters as well as non gluten eaters all love it :)

Mizzo Enthusiast

I froze king Arthur cupcakes for 2 months and when they defrosted they were a bit wet (condensation ? ) tasted fine but tough to decorate.

ciamarie Rookie

I froze a couple of slices of birthday cake made with Hodgson Mills gluten-free yellow cake for about 2 weeks and it was fine when thawed. I would suspect you should be able to go about a month with no problems. Though fyi, the Betty Crocker yellow cake is pretty dry when made as directed, if you're using that you might want to make a test batch with some added mayonaise or pudding or something. (It's what I used for a Christmas cake) The reviews for their chocolate cake are really good.

love2travel Mentor

I have frozen gluten-free cakes successfully for up to two months but they are homemade so the texture would be vastly different. I have had no problems with icing the cakes after they are frozen.

Juliebove Rising Star

I once bought a frosted gluten-free sheet cake that I also think was dairy and egg free. That thing was huge! The place where I bought it from no longer makes cakes. Anyway... I cut it into individual pieces and put each in one of those Gladware kind of containers. At 6 months there were still a few piece left and my daughter said they were fine.

Archived