15 replies to this topic

#16 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

My hubby got it because he saw it. I got sick & miserable on gluten. My doctor was a twit - it all started with a wicked virus that made me unable to eat for a week & I lost 5 pounds - I was very sick. It took me a year to figure out how to eat without being sick. I had a blood test (negative) and then was scheduled for a endoscope 4 months later. I stopped eating gluten before the blood test so by the time I had the endoscope there was nothing to see. I never got a celiac diagnosis BUT I get very sick so I am very careful.

I live a few hours away from my extended family, including my folks, and they didn't really get it for awhile (it's been almost 10 years). They raised me & I didn't have this so why now (ha - I'd like to know this too!)? It took time. It also took them seeing me stick to it religiously to see that I truly didn't eat gluten. It also took them seeing me get sick a couple of times eating out when travelling to see I wasn't making this up. Oddly enough, my inlaws got it faster. My MIL bends over backwards, has a separate toaster & cutting board & gluten-free stuff in her freezer. At my folks' place, I bring my own food. Seriously - we travel the 5 hours down there & my mom has cold cuts & buns for everyone...I have to bring my own food.

Bottom line - you are in charge of your health, you cannot rely on anyone else to look after it for you. You suffer the consequences. Hopefully they get it as time goes by,...sucks I know but sometimes people need time to come around. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: