3 replies to this topic

#1 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I got some fabulous looking gluten-free, whole-food, vegan baked good recipes from a friend of a friend. The few I have tried rise so nicely in the oven, yet fall when removed to cool, leaving tasty, but small and dense cakes and cupcakes. Any suggestions? Most are made with oat (gluten-free), garbanzo bean, and coconut flours. They have baking powder and an acid (mostly apple puree).

Any thoughts?

I was never a baker before, so have little experience on the non-gluten-free side.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

One potential problem is overbeating eggs. This can cause even non-gluten-free things to rise and fall.

I find with some yeast bread that they are more stable if the are alllowed a slower rise. I have one recipe that if I heat the oven on low a few min. and turn it off and let the buns rise in the oven, they rise too fast and become unstable. If I set them on the back burner where the heat more gently comes through, they rise slower and don't fall later.

Sometimes gluten-free baked goods(non-yeast) need a few extra minutes beyond the point where we think they are done. If we take them out too soon they will fall.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I've had some success with turning off the oven and opening the door partway and letting the product cool off inside the oven.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Reduce the amount of liquid in the recipes (this will take some trial and error), and bake a little longer (5 minutes at a time, test the top with a finger to see if it feels firm - if it's too springy it may not be done inside).
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: