This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question For Cavemen And Carnivores

srall

srall Contributor

I know there are several people on this board who are either paleo, SCD or just eat rice (or a couple of grains)

I do eat rice including rice pasta, and white potatoes. Other than that my diet is pretty paleo. I cannot eat eggs.

So, I'm a former vegan who has made her peace with meat, after being diagnosed gluten/dairy intolerant.

I'm curious what your daily/weekly meat consumption looks like? I can usually figure out different ways to prepare the meat, but sometimes I feel like I'm turning into a chicken.

Here's what I'm doing: chicken 2x a day (or so)

Lunchmeat in the form of turkey or salami 3X a week

Pork: 1X week

Tilapia 1X week

Salmon 2X week

Canned tuna 1X a week

Beef up to 1X a week

Other fish...depending on price 1X week

I am starting to struggle with this diet in that I'm getting SOO tired of chicken. (I feel great so that part is good)

I feel weird about eating pork but I do, I'm concerned about too much red meat, I worry about pollutants in fish...and I'm trying to do the best thing for my body but I really need to eat a lot of meat to feel good. Do you mind giving me an idea of your average day/week? TIA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

My bf is a carnivore, so we eat red meat 3-4 times a week when he's around. I see no problem with it. We eat pork once or twice a week, chicken twice a week or so. I eat more fish and shrimp when he's not around, and we have eggs almost daily.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have about the same weekly intake of meat as Jess.

Beef (3-4), pork,(1) lamb, (1) chicken or turkey (1-2) and fish and shellfish when I can.

I also eat more fish than my guy does.

(In fact, he eats NONE. :lol: stubborn ! )

I have no issues with eating red meat as I do feel best on that kind of protein intake.

If hubs had his way, he would eat eggs every day. We have them 3-4 times --sometimes for dinner in frittatas . I eat them often enough in the paleo breads I bake (they require 5 eggs).

I should clarify I am not a strict paleo, as I do eat brown rice and cheese and fresh corn on occasion.

I am just limiting my carbs as I started to put too much weight back on rather quickly once I started absorbing again and I need to watch it.

Finally-45 Contributor

I cannot eat eggs.

So, I'm a former vegan who has made her peace with meat,

I literally just started going grain free last week and I used to be a vegetarian. I don't eat a lot of eggs because I get mild, but bothersome skin rashes from them. No allergy ever diagnosed. I tolerate lactose, but still eat/drink lactose-free dairy products just to be safe. It's too soon for me to know whether I need to avoid corn-fed animal products.

Somehow pork just doesn't seem appetizing to me; sausage is almost repulsive actually.

Poultry and fish have gone over well, and though I'm not against beef, I just don't want my cholesterol level to get high. Since I'm now avoiding margarines, I prefer butter or corn-free oil products. Shellfish is ok, I just don't eat much of it.

Anyway, as I went down the summarized list with the registered dietician, we focused on what I'm replacing the grain with, vs amounts. This is where I'm at:

Wherever I would usually have a sauce dish over rice, I replaced the rice with beans, mashed potatoes, yucca, or shredded chicken or fish. Normally, vegetables are in the sauce dish. Sea salt or herbs too. Yucca is healthier than potatoes, so I plan to increase those.

Wherever I normally need a snack, I had already focused on fruit. I had a couple of desperate times that I did try chips that were fried in sunflower oil and had no reactions. (Utz) Hershey's chocolate bars. Frozen fruit smoothies with Kefir are a staple.

Wherever I would normally have a sandwich, I have switched to a mixed-green salad, instead of croutons-nuts.

Wherever I would have a gravy, I use something that is basically watered down potato soup or pureed vegetables. Indian sauces are commonly grain free.

Chad Sines Rising Star

SCD here.

Eggs for breakfast and then chicken or beef for lunch and the other for dinner. Some fish throughout the week. Lots of carrots.

I tend to have issues with fructose, dairy, soy.

I use cronometer.com (free) [hope it is allowed to mention it] to track my nutrition which honestly even with a limited diet is better than my previous fast food eating.

I have not found any vitamins that I seem to tolerate.

bartfull Rising Star

Bison is a great source of protein and is very low in fat. Bison is also usually free of the antibiotics and other junk they inject cattle with. And it is grass fed instead of wading in filth at the feed lots where they feed the cattle GMO corn and other unhealthy things.

And it tastes better too. Kind of expensive, but worth it, IMO.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

The only grain I eat is brown rice. I get gluten-free Rice Krispies and use those as bread crumbs in Salmon patties or meat loaf/meat balls.

I make up a batch of Salmon patties once a week and eat them for lunches or breakfast. I like them cold so they're a great grab and go food to have on hand.

I usually cook up a pound of bacon and put it in baggies and grab a few pieces when I want it.

I bought a fully cooked ham and brought it home and right away sliced it up and put 4 or 5 slics in a baggie and freeze. They can be pulled out and thawed overnight or taken as a lunch, they're thawed by lunch time.

You can heat the slics if you want to or eat it cold. Ham is really economical. (I paid $1.69#) for the last one. Make a pot of bean soup with the bone and small bits of meat left over from slicing.

Generally, for suppers I frequently have any kind of meat grilled, sometimes Scallops or shrimp done the same way. When grilling, a lot of times I cut up red potatoes and onions, drizzle with oliveI wrap them up in foil and I cook them on the grill at the same time so it's easy and clean-up minimal. Veggies like summer squash or zucchini are good grilled too.

I generally make an additional veggie or salad.

Stews are a favorite, and stir fry is another. I usually use chicken, but you can use anything. Add lots of veggies.

I don't like to cook, so these are all super easy/lazy options.

Don't forget nuts and seeds. They're protein and easy to grab.

My diet is soy, dairy, corn, grain (other than brown rice), MSG, yeast, and gluten-free. I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, meat/seafood/fish and nuts (mostly sunflower seeds).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cmoore Apprentice

This is all very interesting to me. I have been struggling with neurological problems relating to weakness and co-ordination and feel I still might have some hidden gluten issues .. BUT, I recently read a very interesting bit on how even Dairy can cause neurological problems in some.

Its all very interesting to me in that its like all this this came to light in my 50s. I was diagnosed with low blood sugar and even a mild allergy to wheat with I was about 10 yrs old. My bet is that after some 40 years of not paying enough attention its all spun out of control on me and .. well here I am.

My gut tells me (no pun intended) that a low carb/paleo/ whatever else ...... approach is the way I need to go. I think my wife may be on board with dropping most of the grains we have gotten used to eating.

This book - "Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's: A Patient and Family Guide" covers vastly more then just tourettes it covers things like Autism, and ADHD and more. Its full of fact from so many professionals... and it all points to so much with our diet etc.

love2travel Mentor

I'm not on a paleo diet or anything but I am a carnivore. This is what our week MAY look like:

beef - 1

lamb - 1

pork - 1

fish - 1

seafood - 1

poultry - 1

vegetarian/homemade pasta - 1

We try to mix it up to include quail, duck, goose, Cornish game hens, lamb, bison, moose, elk, goat...we are adventurous eaters so if we could find antelope or kangaroo we would do it. :)

We could cook enough different meals for about 3 years without repeating a single meat dish even once. That is how varied our meals can be. Sometimes we have leftovers, of course.

You can try cooking your way through a cookbook, too - I love doing that.

woodnewt Rookie

So, I'm a former vegan who has made her peace with meat, after being diagnosed gluten/dairy intolerant.

This is me. Ex-vegan.

I eat no grains or pseudo-grains. Main starches are potatoes and bananas. I am intolerant to dairy (with one strange exception - sheep dairy is OK, goat and cow are off limits). I do not eat fish because I get an "allergic-like" reaction to it. I can eat certain brands of eggs with no problems (likely dependent on the feed).

Daily meat consumption:

Breakfast: Lamb or eggs, banana or potato, vegetables

Lunch: Lamb or beef, potato, vegetables

Dinner: Lamb or beef, potato, vegetables

Breakfast and lunch are usually very large meals. I eat a lot of red meat. Sometimes I'll have a poor appetite at dinner and eat something like nuts, a banana, and/or yogurt instead of meat.

I only eat pork, goat, buffalo, duck and chicken rarely. I eat beef liver whenever its available.

Raven815 Rookie

I am a vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs or cows milk. I still eat cheese, unfortunately. I would like to get off of all dairy eventually.

Since figuring out that I am celiac, I asked myself if I would ever go back to eating meat since my diet is so limited now. I don't think I ever could, but as soon as I find out that I don't have any soy sensitivities, I will go back to tofu and tempeh (I think, not sure if I can) as my meat substitute.

I am trying to limit grains. I still eat brown rice and brown rice pasta. I eat quinoa, but actually, quinoa is not a grain, it is a seed and is a pure protein.

It's been really hard for me and I realize that I am going to have to be very creative with my diet. So far, so good.

I know you were asking about meat consumption, but i just felt like joining in the convo. Hope no one minds.

Laura :D

• 3 weeks later...
Ghosty Newbie

Wow...lottsa good info here. I eat Paleo. I eat a lotta meat. Sometimes its all that's in my meal.

Bought a grass fed organic cow, and keep it in the freezer. Eat it several times a week. Slow cook roast. Make burgers with jalapenos, onions, and chopped up yams mixed right in the burgers. Grill em up Yummy. No bun of course. I smother them with homemade guac and salsa.

Also bought a pig, and slow cook hams and pork chops a lot. So easy, and always have meat on hand.

Actually saves money as now I don't spend money going out to eat as much, plus buying in bulk is cheaper in the long run.

So...yeah, break it up...lottsa good meat, and different varieties. I cook the ham and roast with sea salt, pepper, kayenne pepper and a touch on cinnamon...yum.

Recently discovered fish! Love to dip it in egg and bread it in coconut flour, and cook it in coconut oil...did I say yum? :)

Try different things. Last I saw the mercury and other stuff that might be in fish, is outweighed by all the good fish does for us. I could post that link if there's interest and I'm not breaking the rules.

Archived