Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Kellogs Corn Pops - What Am I Missing Here?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#16 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

I don't think they get a fail on that...it doesn't contain wheat, it contains Oat, which they state that.

I have to agree here, they flat out say contains oats. The fact that it doesn't say certified gluten free oats in the description is a red flag, as oats are not safe otherwise. IMHO, I don't think they could speculate and say that there is wheat when they did not do that portion of the processing, how are they to know what goes on when its harvested but they do list the oats which is appropriate, as they did use regular oat products during their manufacturing. It's our job as celiacs to clue in that if oats are listed that means gluten, unless otherwise listed as certified gluten free oats. Bummer, I used to love corn pops as a kid!! 😃😃
~**caselynn**~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

On May 19, 2011, Health Canada communicated to consumers with severe wheat allergies that cereal grains, such as oats or barley, may contain low levels of wheat because of the way these grains are grown, harvested and processed. Health Canada is advising such individuals to exercise caution by carefully reviewing labels of pre-packaged foods and contacting companies to confirm if products containing other cereal grains might also contain traces of wheat.

In order to complement the Health Canada advice and to assist allergic consumers in making appropriate food choices, manufacturers and importers are advised to take appropriate steps to inform consumers of the possible presence of low levels of wheat in their products. Possible actions include web site advisories, information for toll-free information lines and over-stickering on existing packaging. Children with wheat allergies are particularly prone to being sensitive to low levels of wheat. Therefore, precautionary measures for cereal grain-based foods for children are strongly advised. Such precautionary measures are encouraged unless these grains have been specially grown, harvested and processed in a manner to ensure exclusion of wheat.

http://www.inspectio...10520inde.shtml

Didn't they do just that when you asked them?

I e-mailed Kellog's Canada to ask if they use certified uncontaminated oats in Corn Pops (The Canadian product does not contain wheat starch) and if not, what ppm did their oat flour test to. This is their response:

Thank you for contacting Kellogg with your question about the source of gluten in our Kellogg's Corn Pops.

The gluten in Corn Pops is sourced from the oat flour ingredient. Currently, the list of grains which contain gluten published by Health Canada and CODEX, (a recognized International food standards agency), includes oats, wheat, spelt, kamut, barley, rye and triticale . Although pure oats do not contain gluten, standard growing and harvesting practices do not allow us to guarantee that there is no gluten in this product. We therefore recommend that those who have an intolerance to gluten do not consume this product. We would also strongly encourage you to meet with your family doctor or registered dietitian / nutritionist to further discuss this issue.

We understand that the Canadian Celiac Association has presented new research to Health Canada on "non-contaminated" oats and that the document is currently under review; however, at this time neither Health Canada, nor CODEX have made a change to the listing of grains containing gluten. Please be assured that our goal is to provide clear and accurate labelling for our consumers and that we will continue to keep abreast of Health Canada's recommendations in this regard.

We suggest you try our Kellogg's* Brown Rice Gluten Free cereal.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#18 Kamma

Kamma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Didn't they do just that when you asked them?

Absolutely. I also emailed them back to find out why they are not voluntarily complying with Health Canada and Canada Food Inspection Agency's (the branch of government that enforces labeling/food safety in industry for the consumer):

"CFIA also encourages manufacturers and importers of grain-based products to transition towards the inclusion of precautionary labelling (a 'may contain wheat' statement) on their products to indicate the potential presence of wheat."

Which is a directorate based on their following observation:

[i]"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is encouraging domestic manufacturers and importers of grain-based products to inform consumers that products containing cereal grains, such as oats or barley, may also contain low levels of wheat.

While most Canadians with wheat allergies only react to higher levels of exposure, those with severe wheat allergies may be sensitive to small amounts of wheat. Cereal grains are often grown close to other types of grain and are sometimes harvested using the same equipment. Because of this, it is extremely difficult to exclude all traces of wheat from other cereal grains during harvesting."[/i]

Of which Kellogg's falls under as a manufacturer of a cereal product.

In comparison, Post Honeycomb (Canada) contains corn flour, oat flour and no wheat. On their label they have declared, "oats, may contain wheat". General Mills (Canada) has also affixed a "may contain wheat" label to their Cheerio products which are made from oat bran/flour with no wheat ingredient.

So. We have a voluntary industry standard being met by other leading cereal producers and Kellogg's is not following suit. Why the failure to voluntarily declare in spite of their competition doing so?

The lack of standardization leads one (especially a newly diagnosed celiac) to assume that okay, General Mills and Post say their oat flour cereals might contain traces of wheat therefore Kellogg's would declare it too. Since they don't, they must not contain any trace of wheat and it's safe to eat or it leads to confusion whether or not it has wheat.

Which, in turn, leads to these threads being posted and people wondering what's safe and what isn't. Or, they just eat it and get sick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: