This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kellogs Corn Pops - What Am I Missing Here?

Glutendude25

Glutendude25 Newbie

So I was in the grocery store today and decided to randomly check out the labels on some cereal boxes that as far as I understood were forbidden. In the past, if I remember correctly, it was obvious by the ingredient that it contained gluten, however today I was stumped...

Here are the listed ingredients, where is the gluten hidden????

Corn meal, sugar, corn bran, corn syrup, cinnamon, salt, oat flour, baking soda, vegetable oil, bht

Contains oat ingredients. May contain soy.:unsure:

I got this list from Open Original Shared Link.

I realize there is most definitely a chance of cross-contamination, but where is the specific gluten containing ingredient?

Thanks for the help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Are you in Canada? The US ingredients are:

Milled corn, sugar, soluble corn fiber, molasses, contains 2% or less of salt, soybean oil, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, soybean and/or cottonseed), mono- and diglycerides, wheat starch, annatto color, BHT for freshness.

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

the oats aren't gluten-free? Oats are contaminated with wheat so only gluten-free oats are allowed.

psawyer Proficient

So I was in the grocery store today and decided to randomly check out the labels on some cereal boxes that as far as I understood were forbidden. In the past, if I remember correctly, it was obvious by the ingredient that it contained gluten, however today I was stumped...

Here are the listed ingredients, where is the gluten hidden????

Corn meal, sugar, corn bran, corn syrup, cinnamon, salt, oat flour, baking soda, vegetable oil, bht

Contains oat ingredients. May contain soy.:unsure:

I got this list from Open Original Shared Link.

I realize there is most definitely a chance of cross-contamination, but where is the specific gluten containing ingredient?

Thanks for the help!

The link is to Kellogg's Canada; I assume that, like me, you live in Canada (I'm near Toronto). As Karen said, the oats may contain wheat. Most commercial oats are contaminated with wheat because everything along the production process is shared with wheat.

Mateto Enthusiast

Stay away, stay FARRRRRRR away. The oats are contaminated, I've tried them and....nope. Not for your average coeliac.

1974girl Enthusiast

So can people in the US have them or did you react to the Canadian ones? I looked at the shake and bake glaze after hearing Canadian ones have wheat protein. I looked and ours did not? Why not make them the same?

Kamma Explorer

I e-mailed Kellog's Canada to ask if they use certified uncontaminated oats in Corn Pops (The Canadian product does not contain wheat starch) and if not, what ppm did their oat flour test to. This is their response:

Thank you for contacting Kellogg with your question about the source of gluten in our Kellogg's Corn Pops.

The gluten in Corn Pops is sourced from the oat flour ingredient. Currently, the list of grains which contain gluten published by Health Canada and CODEX, (a recognized International food standards agency), includes oats, wheat, spelt, kamut, barley, rye and triticale . Although pure oats do not contain gluten, standard growing and harvesting practices do not allow us to guarantee that there is no gluten in this product. We therefore recommend that those who have an intolerance to gluten do not consume this product. We would also strongly encourage you to meet with your family doctor or registered dietitian / nutritionist to further discuss this issue.

We understand that the Canadian Celiac Association has presented new research to Health Canada on "non-contaminated" oats and that the document is currently under review; however, at this time neither Health Canada, nor CODEX have made a change to the listing of grains containing gluten. Please be assured that our goal is to provide clear and accurate labelling for our consumers and that we will continue to keep abreast of Health Canada's recommendations in this regard.

We suggest you try our Kellogg's* Brown Rice Gluten Free cereal.

You would think that at the very least they would say on the label, "may contain wheat" but all they cite, after the ingredients is, "contains oat ingredients. contains traces of soybeans". :blink:

Kellogg's gets a fail on this one!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Kellogg's gets a fail on this one!

This isn't a "fail" on Kelloggs part. They have compied with regulations. It is our job as Celiacs to read the ingredients and know that we cannot eat wheat, barley, rye and non-certified gluten-free oats. Kelloggs did not try to pass this off as gluten-free.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I don't think they get a fail on that...it doesn't contain wheat, it contains Oat, which they state that.

Kamma Explorer

I say they get a fail because there are many other products that don't contain wheat as an ingredient but the label clearly states, "may contain wheat".

Health Canada's new Regulations totally encourages manufacturers to 'self declare. While some companies are good on this, Kellog's doesn't seem to want to respond.

On May 19, 2011, Health Canada communicated to consumers with severe wheat allergies that cereal grains, such as oats or barley, may contain low levels of wheat because of the way these grains are grown, harvested and processed. Health Canada is advising such individuals to exercise caution by carefully reviewing labels of pre-packaged foods and contacting companies to confirm if products containing other cereal grains might also contain traces of wheat.

In order to complement the Health Canada advice and to assist allergic consumers in making appropriate food choices, manufacturers and importers are advised to take appropriate steps to inform consumers of the possible presence of low levels of wheat in their products. Possible actions include web site advisories, information for toll-free information lines and over-stickering on existing packaging. Children with wheat allergies are particularly prone to being sensitive to low levels of wheat. Therefore, precautionary measures for cereal grain-based foods for children are strongly advised. Such precautionary measures are encouraged unless these grains have been specially grown, harvested and processed in a manner to ensure exclusion of wheat.

I take it you don't have this in the US?

Jestgar Rising Star

I say they get a fail because there are many other products that don't contain wheat as an ingredient but the label clearly states, "may contain wheat".

I always considered this statement to mean: "may contain wheat from something WE have done, such as use equipment that may not have been properly cleaned since the cleaning crew just had a fight with his girlfriend and may have spent the evening texting everyone he knew". Kellogs (I believe) really doesn't have the right to post about what may have happened to an ingredient before it got to their facility.

Kamma Explorer

I go with Health Canada on this one. If you are a manufacturer pumping out a product that could contain wheat it's good form to let people know on the label. Especially if this grain is not listed but the product contains traces.

Again, I reiterate: other companies are making the effort to label wheat or gluten containing products in compliance with Health Canada's advisory. Whether by contamination on their own lines or contamination prior to their processing.

I would like to see Kellogg's follow suit.

psawyer Proficient

Under the guidelines from Health Canada, a "may contain" for wheat is not appropriate. "May contain" refers, as Jestgar suggests, possible contamination within the manufacturing factility.

Mateto Enthusiast

Anyhow, the general consensus is "DON'T EAT THEM" :D

Kamma Explorer

Under the guidelines from Health Canada, a "may contain" for wheat is not appropriate. "May contain" refers, as Jestgar suggests, possible contamination within the manufacturing factility.

psawyer,

I cannot find any statement within the link you provided that supports the above statement. If I have missed it can you please provide it.

Again, I go with what Health Canada says and The Canadian Food Inspection Agency reiterates on their website and which is provided in the link in my previous post:

OTTAWA, May 20, 2011 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is encouraging domestic manufacturers and importers of grain-based products to inform consumers that products containing cereal grains, such as oats or barley, may also contain low levels of wheat.

While most Canadians with wheat allergies only react to higher levels of exposure, those with severe wheat allergies may be sensitive to small amounts of wheat. Cereal grains are often grown close to other types of grain and are sometimes harvested using the same equipment. Because of this, it is extremely difficult to exclude all traces of wheat from other cereal grains during harvesting.

On May 19, 2011, Health Canada communicated to consumers with severe wheat allergies that cereal grains, such as oats or barley, may contain low levels of wheat because of the way these grains are grown, harvested and processed. Health Canada is advising such individuals to exercise caution by carefully reviewing labels of pre-packaged foods and contacting companies to confirm if products containing other cereal grains might also contain traces of wheat.

In order to complement the Health Canada advice and to assist allergic consumers in making appropriate food choices, manufacturers and importers are advised to take appropriate steps to inform consumers of the possible presence of low levels of wheat in their products. Possible actions include web site advisories, information for toll-free information lines and over-stickering on existing packaging. Children with wheat allergies are particularly prone to being sensitive to low levels of wheat. Therefore, precautionary measures for cereal grain-based foods for children are strongly advised. Such precautionary measures are encouraged unless these grains have been specially grown, harvested and processed in a manner to ensure exclusion of wheat.

CFIA also encourages manufacturers and importers of grain-based products to transition towards the inclusion of precautionary labelling (a 'may contain wheat' statement) on their products to indicate the potential presence of wheat.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I don't think they get a fail on that...it doesn't contain wheat, it contains Oat, which they state that.

I have to agree here, they flat out say contains oats. The fact that it doesn't say certified gluten free oats in the description is a red flag, as oats are not safe otherwise. IMHO, I don't think they could speculate and say that there is wheat when they did not do that portion of the processing, how are they to know what goes on when its harvested but they do list the oats which is appropriate, as they did use regular oat products during their manufacturing. It's our job as celiacs to clue in that if oats are listed that means gluten, unless otherwise listed as certified gluten free oats. Bummer, I used to love corn pops as a kid!! ??

Jestgar Rising Star

Didn't they do just that when you asked them?

I e-mailed Kellog's Canada to ask if they use certified uncontaminated oats in Corn Pops (The Canadian product does not contain wheat starch) and if not, what ppm did their oat flour test to. This is their response:

Thank you for contacting Kellogg with your question about the source of gluten in our Kellogg's Corn Pops.

The gluten in Corn Pops is sourced from the oat flour ingredient. Currently, the list of grains which contain gluten published by Health Canada and CODEX, (a recognized International food standards agency), includes oats, wheat, spelt, kamut, barley, rye and triticale . Although pure oats do not contain gluten, standard growing and harvesting practices do not allow us to guarantee that there is no gluten in this product. We therefore recommend that those who have an intolerance to gluten do not consume this product. We would also strongly encourage you to meet with your family doctor or registered dietitian / nutritionist to further discuss this issue.

We understand that the Canadian Celiac Association has presented new research to Health Canada on "non-contaminated" oats and that the document is currently under review; however, at this time neither Health Canada, nor CODEX have made a change to the listing of grains containing gluten. Please be assured that our goal is to provide clear and accurate labelling for our consumers and that we will continue to keep abreast of Health Canada's recommendations in this regard.

We suggest you try our Kellogg's* Brown Rice Gluten Free cereal.

Kamma Explorer

Didn't they do just that when you asked them?

Absolutely. I also emailed them back to find out why they are not voluntarily complying with Health Canada and Canada Food Inspection Agency's (the branch of government that enforces labeling/food safety in industry for the consumer):

"CFIA also encourages manufacturers and importers of grain-based products to transition towards the inclusion of precautionary labelling (a 'may contain wheat' statement) on their products to indicate the potential presence of wheat."

Which is a directorate based on their following observation:

[i]"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is encouraging domestic manufacturers and importers of grain-based products to inform consumers that products containing cereal grains, such as oats or barley, may also contain low levels of wheat.

While most Canadians with wheat allergies only react to higher levels of exposure, those with severe wheat allergies may be sensitive to small amounts of wheat. Cereal grains are often grown close to other types of grain and are sometimes harvested using the same equipment. Because of this, it is extremely difficult to exclude all traces of wheat from other cereal grains during harvesting."

Of which Kellogg's falls under as a manufacturer of a cereal product.

In comparison, Post Honeycomb (Canada) contains corn flour, oat flour and no wheat. On their label they have declared, "oats, may contain wheat". General Mills (Canada) has also affixed a "may contain wheat" label to their Cheerio products which are made from oat bran/flour with no wheat ingredient.

So. We have a voluntary industry standard being met by other leading cereal producers and Kellogg's is not following suit. Why the failure to voluntarily declare in spite of their competition doing so?

The lack of standardization leads one (especially a newly diagnosed celiac) to assume that okay, General Mills and Post say their oat flour cereals might contain traces of wheat therefore Kellogg's would declare it too. Since they don't, they must not contain any trace of wheat and it's safe to eat or it leads to confusion whether or not it has wheat.

Which, in turn, leads to these threads being posted and people wondering what's safe and what isn't. Or, they just eat it and get sick.

Archived