• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

sreese68

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

My husband had lunch yesterday with a coworker, and they shared chips and salsa. Coworker called this morning to say he has doctor confirmed strep and a 103 fever! Sigh… The guy is now on amoxicillian. My husband is already on augmentin (contains amoxicillian) due to some dental work. Is there any way my husband's antibiotic will prevent him from getting strep and passing it to us? We have 4 kids, so illnesses spread like wildfire in our house!

I'm one of those that has a hard time keeping weight on. Having a bad sore throat and not being able to eat is not something I can bounce back from easily. Takes me a long time to put lost weight back on. And I have lots of food intolerances. I can't do store-bought chicken broth or soups or any dairy.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

First, Amoxicillin is not very effective against Strep--the co-worker should have been prescribed either Penicillin or Septra for strep. As someone who has contracted Rheumatic Fever twice (once from undertreated strep), I know the most effective antibiotics to treat strep. However, that said, I don't think it's wise to take antibiotics to PREVENT a disease because of the destruction to the gut flora.

Your husband should be very careful to wash his hands when at home and avoid contact with household members for the next week. If he feels a sore throat coming on, he should immediately seek medical attention and request Penicillin (the most effective treatment for strep) while testing is completed. He can always stop taking it if it turns out he doesn't have strep.

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

The over-use of antibiotics is a major cause in the development of untreatable infections due to mutation of bacteria. Try not to take antibiotics unless necessary (as with strep)and be sure to take the full prescibed course. Antibiotics are not preventative drugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: