Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Parchment Paper

6 posts in this topic

Parchment Paper- I just discovered the joys of parchment paper. Those of you who use it regularly where do you buy? Online? Reynold's? Can you baker's hook me up with a good source? It's kind of expensive but maybe it's worth it. Is there a way to buy it online that is more economical? Do you re-use the sheets? I made cookies, but the paper still looks fine...can I use it again? I don't know where I've been...this stuff is great!

Ads by Google:

I buy Reynolds at the grocery store. I really only use it for cookies, but I have not reused sheets. Mine wrinkle up somewhat, and absorb oil from what I baked on it.

Good stuff:)

Once upon a time I worked in a bakery. The health department allowed the paper to be reused many times. I do reuse my paper. I dump off any crumbs and fold to store it. At the bakery we just had a whole big stack of baking sheets with the paper on it.

I toss mine when it doesn't look clean anymore. Since, I can't store it with the pan, I have trouble with it crumbling.

The paper gives me extra security when I bake on a pan which has been used for gluten.

One more thing. Do they use gluten to produce this paper?

Diana

I buy my Reynolds parchment paper at Wal-Mart (it's in the section with the aluminum foil, wax paper, etc.) and it's probably also available around here in regular grocery stores, too. I do reuse it, too...it all depends on what condition it's in. I especially like it for for baking cookies but have used it on a cookie sheet when I bake hamburger buns, too. It's one of my favorite products.

Edit: Diana, I wouldn't worry about this product (can't imagine they'd have any reason to add gluten in the manufacturing process). It's safe for us to use!!!

Edited by sa1937

I buy mine at my regular grocery stores. And I've been using it for years - a lot for baking but even more so for food en papillotte, as I am doing tonight with fresh halibut. Each person gets their own package that puffs up in the oven (I am using white wine, lemon juice, capers, oven-roasted tomtaoes and thin green beans along with the halibut). You poke a hole in each to allow the steam to escape then open up. They are pretty and the food inside steams perfectly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Cyclinglady is absolutely correct, after hours of internet research the only gluten-free food available at JNB is a fast food chain called 'Nandos'. I was hoping for a bit more variety, but I'll take what I get.   
    • I'm so confused about my daughter's diagnosis.  I hope somebody can help.   My 4 year old daughter has a swollen belly, stomachaches, and lots of gas.  She does not have diarrhea or delayed growth.  Because of her symptoms and because it runs in the family (2nd degree relatives) I had her tested for celiac.   She was weak positive for TTG (IGA)  and strong positive for DGP (IGG)   TTG (IGA)  8   (0-3 neg, 4-10 weak positive, greater than 10 positive) TTG (IGG)  2   EMA: Negative DGP (IGG)  47  (0-19 negative, 20-30 weak positive, greater than 30 positive) Last week, she had her endoscopy.  The doctor found inflammation and little holes or bumps on her duodenum.  He started her on prevacid and said based on his observations, he was suspicious of celiac, but he would not be able to confirm until the biopsy came back. The biopsy showed no signs of celiac disease.  He said that he could not diagnose her with celiac without the biopsy report saying there was celiac damage.  He said he would categorize her as a potential celiac, keep her on a gluten diet and redo the endoscopy in a year or two to check for damage again.  My questions are: 1.)  If it is not celiac, something is causing her duodenum to be inflamed and have little holes or bumps on it, right?  Could it be a wheat allergy or gluten sensitivity?  What else could it be and how do they test for it?  Given her elevated celiac antibodies, how likely is it to be anything besides celiac causing the damage?  2.)  How likely are false positives for TTG and DGP?  I've heard they are pretty sensitive and specific.  Does getting two positives make false positives less likely? 3.) What have you done in this situation?  I want her to have an official diagnosis to make things easier at school and to feel confident that we are eliminating gluten permanently for a worthy reason, etc.  But, I'm having a hard time imagining keeping her on gluten and waiting for her to get more sick and have more intestinal damage just for a diagnosis.     Thanks in advance for your help.  I'm so overwhelmed and confused.  I hope someone has some insight and experience that will help clear things up for me.            
    • Yeah I actually live in Japan which is pretty similar, because Coeliac disease is rare over here so is the understanding and accommodating it. When I mention Gluten to some restaurants they think I am talking in English and they are unfamiliar with the word in Japanese.    So it seems I can write off my chances of getting some authentic Chinese gluten-free food at the airport, but at least there is a Thai restaurant in T3 so I won't starve. Its called  'Phrik Thai' for future reference. http://en-shopping.bcia.com.cn/store/739.html  
    • While in Boston I found Cheer's  Bloody Mary mix that says gluten-free on the bottle and have had no issues and  tastes pretty good 
    • I always assumed plain coffee was, but I have seen some controversy online about this. I know someone who is gluten free and only buys whole beans and grinds them herself because she doesn't trust how the grounds are processed.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Cristina17