Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do Reactions To Gluten Get Worse The Longer Diagnosed?

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#16 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Been gluten free 7-8 wks, got gluten first day (thursday) of mini vacation. Stopped by mom & pop place that hand patties there burgers, have had there hamburger steak before but really was craving a burger so ordered it without the bun with only cheese, ketsup and mustard. Mistake, came to find out the stretch their burger meat with crackers and milk :(. I was Soooo sick within an hour DH had to pull over for me to dig out neausa meds, pain meds and decongestant, now I still have base line neausa, mild aches and pains, headache and constipation. The only saving grace I have is no diahhrea.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Thinking about it, I was wondering something along the same lines- perhaps there is a more severe reaction when your digestive system has healed and is better able to absorb everything- including gluten.

It is also possible that there's a sample bias on here with at least one of the following factors:
-the people who post are the people who react most severely
-the reactions that are deemed to be "worth talking about" are the most severe reactions
-people who have been diagnosed for a long time are more in tune with/better able to recognize symptoms of "glutening"
-some of the posters who talk about "glutenings" are actually talking about food poisoning or other non-celiac-related digestive issues (which most people get from time to time) but have become accustomed to blaming all GI upset on gluten

Yes, this is very true. I had also thought about the increased ability of recognising glutening. Also, before you go gluten-free, you are constantly being glutened so the symptoms are more constant/gradual, whereas after going gluten-free, once you get glutened there will be much more of an observable difference from your non-glutened self!

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: