- - - - -

Overweight .... But

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kfrancisvt_*

Guest_kfrancisvt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

I self diagnosed myself as gluten intolerant about three or four months ago. When I stopped eating gluten food, I lost about ten pounds but I haven't lost anymore weight (which I need to lose a whole bunch more). I am very conscience if what I am eating contains gluten but I travel for my job and it is hard when I am always eating in restaurants (I try to talk to the chef or waitress but sometimes they don't always comply or they say they will and then I feel awful after eating).

Lately I don't feel hungry at all and when I eat, I end up not eating a lot and my weight still hasn't budged.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get my weight to start going down again?

Thanks!
Kathy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 terri

terri

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

You probably don't want to hear this, but EXERCISE! That will start the downward spiral with your weight again. And make sure you eat breakfast. If you don't, your body stays in sleep mode and you don't burn very many calories. Once you eat, your metabolism perks up and starts burning fuel. Try to eat mainly complex carbohydrates ( brown rice, quinoa, amaranth) protein, and lots of vegetables. Good luck!
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#3 Heather22

Heather22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

Kudos to Terri. Exercise is very important!

Your weight might not be moving because your body has a window, where you can vary your calorie intake, but still maintain the same weight. For example, one day you might eat 1600 (low), and the next 1900, and your body will the scale won't move. Don't decrease your food intake too much either because this can cause a permanent decrease in your metabolism. THe key is to eat lots of clean food, and balance it out with exercise. To lose weight, you don't have to deprive yourself of food.

Good luck!

PS. If I were you, I would talk to/get diagnosed by a doctor. He/she would likely do other tests that might be helpful as a good screening tool. There could be something else going on, other than gluten intolerance. Check it out!

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get my weight to start going down again?

My advice would be to stay 100% gluten free. Check for gluten in everything that goes in or near your mouth, even lipstick, shampoo, suncreen, ect. Also, like the others have said, eating breakfast and exercise can help. From what I have read, it is important to excersise and eat regular healthy meals.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

I used to be obese and am now a healthy weight and I can tell what to expect. Watch your portions very carfully and eat mostly green veggies, low fructose fruits like berries and protien rich foods. These foods digest slowly and you won't eat as much. No processed sugar or junk food at all. Drink lots of water too. EXERCISE IS MANDATORY. Dieting alone will not work by itself.

What will happen is your body will lose quite a bit in the beginning and then stop for a while. Keep dieting and exercising anyway because the weight loss will kick in again. I found that there would be a week where the weight would come off then 2-3 weeks where I would not lose weight. During this time my body would start to change shape. I would notice that my clothes fit differently even though I wasn't losing pounds. This will take time but it takes persistance and it is so worth it.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#6 Guest_kfrancisvt_*

Guest_kfrancisvt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:56 AM

Thanks everyone!!!!!

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:25 AM

Also, even when traveling, you need to avoid getting glutened. I know it can be tough, but you have to do it. Some of the things I do: get an extended stay place where I can get a kitchenette and cook my own meals. Get fruit/nuts/deli meat from a grocery store for lunches. Peanut butter and rice cakes, baby, peanut butter and rice cakes! ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: