Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

4-Year Old Has Appointment Next But Should I Wait That Long?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 momofdarius

momofdarius

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

(sorry the title was supposed to be 'has an appointment next week but should I wait that long?')

Hi, my name is Angela. I have gluten intolerance and have been gluten free for 5 years. I have a 4 year old who has been having quite a bit of stomach pain for a while. I have been noticing a little mucus in his stools. So I made an appointment with his doctor for next week.

However today, he was complaining of stomach pain and went to the bathroom. There was a little bit of bright red blood in his stool. Is this something that is found in gluten intolerance/celiac? Or is it something more serious? Should I see if I can get him in to his doctors any sooner?
Sorry to ask you all this; I just don't know what to do!

Thank you so much!!

Edited by momofdarius, 30 October 2012 - 08:44 AM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi Angela-

I think you should ask for an earlier appt. Not because I think it is an emergency - just think it would be good to start the celiac testing process as early as possible.

Stomach and bowel problems or all sort can be an indication of Celiac.

Make sure your Ped orders a full celiac panel. I'm on my cell - I'll check back and add specific test info if someone else doesn't chime in.

Don't remove gluten until testing is complete.

Hang in there!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 Chiana

Chiana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

If you let them know that he has blood in his stool they will probably get him in asap. In the mean time, has he been getting lots of water and enough fiber? Bright red blood is usually an indication of issues lower down in the digestive tract. It's not that uncommon to pass some blood if you're a little less than 'regular', or have not been drinking enough fluids. Also, he hasn't been eating red velvet cake, chewing on markers, etc. has he? I can't tell you how many people I've run into that have taken their child in to the doctor only to find that all the red food coloring their child has been eating is what's really coming out the other end.

Screening for celiac is always a good idea if you have symptoms and a first-degree relative with gluten-problems. I wish I could get my relatives in there.

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

My celiac has always shown itself with stomach pains and constipation, including when I was a child. I ended up with hemorrhoids at a fairly young age because of the irritation. When the hemi's bleed it comes out red, that is what most adults see. Your little guy is so young though that I would check it out as soon as possible just to be sure.

Best wishes with the teating.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: