#1 Wenmin

Wenmin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Need some help here!

One of my good friends' daughter has some type of gluten intolerance (self diagnosis). She has been suffering for several months now and determined it was celiac or some form of gluten intolerance with no help from the doctors. The doctors keep testing for everything and cannot give her a positive diagnosis.

We have been in contact lately, and she is suffering from some other things as well. She called me tonight and informed me she was back in the hospital because of pancreatitis ?sp? She has been hospitalized several times in the last few months due to different symptoms. Can someone tell me if there is a connection between Celiac and the pancreas? (elevated enzymes) Or should she be seeking advice on other problems? We can't figure out the connection and need some help with this.

I am a self diagnosed (4 years now) celiac and have been trying to help her as much as possible. I would appreciate if someone can give me some insight for her. She is at wits end.......

Thanks in advance!

Wenmin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

There is a definite connection; it is no coincidence that so many of us take pancreatic enzymes to help digest our food. I found this article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10570344

"We describe 12 patients with papillary stenosis and celiac disease. In 9 cases the celiac disease was a new diagnosis. Celiac disease should be considered in the etiology of papillary stenosis or idiopathic recurrent pancreatitis."
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009