Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Sleep Patterns When Glutened

• Please log in to reply

Poll: What happens to your sleep when glutened? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

What happens to your sleep when glutened?

1. I have trouble falling asleep (11 votes [47.83%])

Percentage of vote: 47.83%

2. I fall asleep but wake up really early and need to sleep alter in the day. (7 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. I have no trouble falling asleep. (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. I sleep more than usual at night. (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Everyone- when I get glutened I fall asleep fine but wake up at 4 or 5 a.m. (I play the kitchen fairy and do stuff around the house when I can't sleep) but then at like 11:30 I'm exhausted and have to nap. I'm wondering what other people experience. Thanks, Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:13 PM

When glutened I usually have a lot of trouble getting to sleep and then wake up alot throughout the night. I am also sleepy no matter how much sleep I get when I am glutened.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Gluten makes me very sleepy, but I have a hard time going to sleep and I wake up a lot during the night. I think it's becasue gluten makes me very anxious for no reason... and no matter how tired I am, my body just has a hard time shutting itself down at night.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#4 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

I have always had trouble sleeping. I can never seem to fall asleep, but boy can I sleep for hours on end when I am on gluten. When I lay off gluten, I sleep less, am less tired and fall asleep easily.
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#5 LRgirl

LRgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:41 AM

when I get glutened, I get overtired. I feel like I haven't slept for ages. This also happens when I accidently eat other foods I am allergic to. It actually happened with chick fill-a fries. I was so happy they were gluten-free. I didn't clue into the fact that they were cooked in peanut oil. After 2 hours, I was in the bed, with terrible fatigue. I could barely lift my head.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:44 AM

I've been gluten-free 4 mo. now--the 1st. couple of months gluten-free, it seemes like I couldn"t get enough sleep. I would fall asleep around 10PM and sleep dead till 7AM or so. I would want to lie down in the afternoon as well. At the moment, the pattern seems to be: fall asleep pretty easily, but wake early (5AM or so). I accidently used a soap which I think must have contained gluten a few days ago and during this time I have been waking up every couple of hours all night and still waking at 5. This AM the cramps seem to be gone :) had Cream of Rice for breakfast (so far, so good) hopefully I'll sleep through the night tonight. Also, I dream much more vividly now since gluten-free). Maybe for some reason, I remember them more?...
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:27 PM

I wake up early when my symptoms are flaring up and sleep later after they calm down a bit. It's like when I need the rest most i can't get it!

#8 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:50 AM

I don't notice a difference at night when I am glutened, but during the day I can't keep my eyes open! That is one way I know I have been glutened... I will be sitting in a chair one minute and sound asleep the next!! Can NOT keep my eyes open!! It is like I have been drugged. NOT fun!

#9 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

Gluten makes me very sleepy, but I have a hard time going to sleep and I wake up a lot during the night. I think it's becasue gluten makes me very anxious for no reason... and no matter how tired I am, my body just has a hard time shutting itself down at night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carriefaith,
I'm so new to this site so don't know if I can get a responce from you even if you post one..I too get so hyper...I feel like my insides are stuck in neutral and running 1.000 miles per hr. Can't seem to calm down. I thought being 'gluten' made you tired, sluggish, and foggy. I've got so much to learn. Have been gluten free for 11 weeks then antibiotics, allergic reacton, trip to ER for breathing difficulty and HIVES the treatment was predizone and antihistimine...the predizone made me more hyper and couldn't sleep but 2-4 hrs a nite for 10days. feel like that again after eating a soup I made from BBQ'd chicken with soy sause marinade I thought was gluten-free and now know it had wheat...been on sites tonight to find the tamari...solution. So glad you posted about the hyper issue haven't seen that before or in my readings.
Thanks so much. You can always email me cause i might not find you again.
judyin philly

Edited by Judyin Philly, 07 October 2005 - 05:01 PM.

Judy in Southern CA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: