3 replies to this topic

#1 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

I posted a few days ago about a possible yeast problem...

SInce April of this year, I have been poked and prodded by 4 different doctors, racked up thousands in medical bills and just been sick for what seems, forever. Since 1997, I have been diagnosed with "IBS" and I just lived with it until I started feeling other things like migranes and dizziness, that is where the new drs came in. Initially, I was deficient in vitamin D and Iron, which is why they suspected Celiac. ALl tests came back negative, but with my IGA deficiency, IBS, immune problems, thyroid and all my other symptoms, my Dr was willing enough to say I had Celiac DIsease and to go gluten-free. Prior to the "diagnosis" they put me on vitamin supplements and before even going gluten-free, my levels were all back up.

Well, It has been 2 months, and while my IBS has seemed to settle (FINALLY!), everything else is the same. Nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, heart palpatations, foggy head. Always after I eat, and it can happen randomly. Doesnt always happen WHEN I eat, but when it does, it is after I eat. Could be an apple, could be a gluten-free sandwich, could be some chips, could be scrambled eggs. I just never know.

I thought it was yeast, then I thought it was sugar, caffeine, salt, dairy.

So, 2 days ago, after being exclusively gluten free, I started eating it again to see what happened. The first day, I ate a bagel and a muffin. Nothing happened. Yesterday, I ate crackers and cheese. Nothing happened. this morning, I ate a muffin. Nothing. I am waiting and waiting....but I have been feeling fine.

Because my tests were all negative anyway, and my vitamin levels went back up on supplements before even going gluten-free and because I am not having reactions, I am thinking maybe I do not have celiac disease after all. I can't deal with any more doctors or medical bills, and I am thinking it is time for experimentation. I just don't even know how to begin. There is no denying that going gluten-free seemed to help my digestive system, I just want all of the other problems to stop too :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I wonder if you could have an intestinal issue that could be caused by sugar, other grains, or a combination of celiac and something else? However, when you ate foods with gluten and had no reaction, and based on the fact that you were diagnosed based on deficiencies rather than blood or biopsy confirmation, maybe you don't have celiac. That's a pretty good challenge to eat that stuff and the fact that it didn't make you sick-er is really a positive because celiac causes damage. Biggest concern to me would be if you had an internal reaction to gluten but didn't feel it. That would be troubling because you'd never really know when you were glutened.

It's troubling for sure. From the surface of it and with medical tests unable to confirm celiac, it does sound a bit like an allergy to something rather than intolerance or celiac disease. Have you begun to isolate foods and reintroduce them slowly to see what causes a reaction? You'd need a journal to accurately track what you ate and what the ingredients were, but that could possibly give you some insight without further medical bills.

#3 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thank you, no I havent begun to isolate, but I think that is my next step. My primary was so sure it was Celiac that I guess I jumped on that idea too because it would be so easy to explain. I think I have a big process ahead of me :(

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Please read this article and the study linked in it. This new research (2012) shows 2 possible additional gluten related conditions exist in addition to celiac disease. They are newly identified and don't show up on celiac disease testing. The symptoms can be very similar though.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: