1 reply to this topic

#1 porkchop60c

porkchop60c

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I had a banana last night with almond butter from Trader Joes. Two hours later I am laying wide awake , feeling like I drank coffee. My mouth was dry, urinated several times, and the next day pain in wrist and above knee. I am very in tune with my body and know when I eat something that is not right. I am not sure if it was contaminated with gluten or if there is pesticides in it that bothered me. Wondering if anyone else has been bothered by the trader joes almond butter. I will buy organic from another company from now on. I do not trust them and I know many of the nuts say it is on the same line as wheat. Why can't these places make it more pure? More and more people are having problems with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've been eating Tjoe's almond butter regularly w/out issue for probably 6 yrs. Mostly the Crunchy, tho I doubt creamy vs crunchy is a factor.

This label has the shared equipment warning for peanuts, tree nuts & soy. No mention of wheat.

I don't know if an organic one should be any different w.r.t. shared equipment. Isn't it a voluntary declaration? A company can use shared equipment for EVERYthing & not put it on the label at all.

I did have a horrible reaction once to a cashew butter I'll never try again & never knew what the prob was. Otherwise never a problem w/ cashews or 'shewbutters.

One almond butter brand kept pissing me off w/ hidden bits of almond shells, but not sure if it was an organic one. Maybe Marantha(sp?).

Hope you find one that works cuz it sure is a no-fuss easy & portable way to get something in the belly. I just dig in w/ a spoon at work.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: