4 replies to this topic

#1 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Been dairy free for 3 months and decided to try some cheese.

So... I had 2 small blocks of hard cheddar. It tasted strong!! And nice!

I felt full after eating it (haven't had that feeling for a while!).

Then about half an hour later started a few noises. It actually sound like a puppy growling then whimpering. These noises came and went, nothing particularly drastic but quite unusal (haven't had a noisy gut for a while)... Then over the following 4 hours I had like 'finger poking' pains here and there in my gi. It wasn't agony, on scale for pain about a 2/10. No gas (so far!).

Can I eat cheese? No full blown reaction but obviously my stomach/guts was complaining about something. Would it damage me if I continued to at it?
Should I leave it another month or two?

I don't know whether my symptoms are bad enough to not eat it or whether I should be ok?? I'd happily wait a while but being veggie I'm having trouble sourcing protein. (I can't have nuts or legumes in the house as my son is extremely allergic).

Any advice, as usual, would be greatly appreciated.

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Damage? probably not.

I'd stick with just the hard cheeses for now, as they are low in lactose. Do not, however, overdo it. Once or twice a week would be a good way to start just to see how well you handle it.

#3 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thank you, tbh that's what I was thinking... So I'm glad you said that! I'd be too worried about having it more often.
But you see even if I had a little bit once a week it would just help with the protein (yes, it's that bad).
Thanks for you help

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Did you eat anything with the cheese? If all you ate was 2 bites of cheese for several hours, you might have made your stomach promises you didn't keep. It was hungry.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi kareng!

Yes. I ate some avocado salad and rice cakes with the cheese! I know what you mean but I wasn't hungry :) the noises were louder and more pronounced than hunger rumbles, and there were definite pains later on (just not that bad!)

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: