This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Member- Test Results - Opinions?

mvsterchief

mvsterchief Newbie

Hey guys, Ive been feeling sick basically all my life and Im now 22 years old. In Feb of 2012 I finally couldnt take it anymore and took some tests. Basically Id feel feverish, my stool would always be super soft, I was pale, rashes(very itchy)and I would get canker sores in my mouth(never on outside of mouth). When I was working at the mall I would always eat a Subway footlong and everytime within 15 minutes I would run to the restroom and have explosive D(no blood), after which I would feel really drained and have the chills. So I took some tests and my Doc had me take some Blood and stool tests. Basiclly here are my numbers(abnormal #s) from that first test-

Albunim - 5.3 > 5.1

A/G ratio - 2.2 > 2.1

Gliadin AB IGA - 36 > 20 (Deamidated)

but Gliadin AB IGG - 12 > 20 (Deamidated) ( which my current Doc finds odd being low with my IGA's high)

Anyways Those tests were in Feb 2012

I was recently tested Feb 2013( was still feeling sick after being gluten-free/pretty sure Ive gotten some in my by accident)

Tested that im allergic to some grasses really bad and a little bit to Olives which I had been using to cook with (olive oil) so maybe that attributed to my sickness as of lately

But here are my Autoimmune results from the testing

Gliadin IGA - 5

Gliadin IGG - 8

Other than that everything else looks normal

Can you guys give me some opinions as Im new to the actual test #'s but Im pretty knowledgable about gluten and how to prevent it.

PS Im getting a colonoscopy in a week but am afraid that after a year of a somewhat strict gluten-free diet that it wont show any damage.

Thanks in advance guys

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

A colonoscopy is not the test for celiac. You need an endoscopy for that. If they are doing the colonoscopy you could ask them to do the endo at the same time to see how much you have healed. If you have been gluten free, even with a few accidents, that would be the reason your tests are going down. The fact that those numbers are going down is a good thing and shows the diet is working. Accidental gluten may cause symptoms, even very small amounts, but won't always cause a spike in the testing.

mvsterchief Newbie

A colonoscopy is not the test for celiac. You need an endoscopy for that. If they are doing the colonoscopy you could ask them to do the endo at the same time to see how much you have healed. If you have been gluten free, even with a few accidents, that would be the reason your tests are going down. The fact that those numbers are going down is a good thing and shows the diet is working. Accidental gluten may cause symptoms, even very small amounts, but won't always cause a spike in the testing.

Thank you Ill be sure to ask my other Dr (which is going to be the one doing the oscopy test) if he can do the endo as well. The Dr I just went to last night said it look unusual that my IGA were high but with such low IGG (36/12), can someone explain what he meant? It was something like, if IGA is high, your body would also create IGG. Just really confused, all in all I really feel like its celiac, the only time I ever felt the peak of the symptoms (D, rash, pale, malaise) was when I would eat bread (subway, hot pockets, pot pies)

Thanks again

beachbirdie Contributor

Thank you Ill be sure to ask my other Dr (which is going to be the one doing the oscopy test) if he can do the endo as well. The Dr I just went to last night said it look unusual that my IGA were high but with such low IGG (36/12), can someone explain what he meant? It was something like, if IGA is high, your body would also create IGG. Just really confused, all in all I really feel like its celiac, the only time I ever felt the peak of the symptoms (D, rash, pale, malaise) was when I would eat bread (subway, hot pockets, pot pies)

Thanks again

You won't necessarily have ALL the types of antibodies elevated. The one you DO have elevated is a very good test, the deamidated gliadin peptides. Some docs WILL diagnose on that alone.

Lots of celiacs here who test negative on ALL the bloods, but still have positive biopsy, and the other way around.

As ravenwoodglass said, you need an endoscopy...not colonoscopy.

good luck.

mvsterchief Newbie

You won't necessarily have ALL the types of antibodies elevated. The one you DO have elevated is a very good test, the deamidated gliadin peptides. Some docs WILL diagnose on that alone.

Lots of celiacs here who test negative on ALL the bloods, but still have positive biopsy, and the other way around.

As ravenwoodglass said, you need an endoscopy...not colonoscopy.

good luck.

Thank you very much. Just wanted to make sure the #'s were the correct ones for celiac disease. My Doc is the one who said Colonoscopy, I dont doubt his knowledge, but I can tell that his specialty is not Celiac Disease. Hopefully the next one knows a bit more. Thanks guys

Archived