Celiac.com 06/15/2019 - This fresh, nutritious summertime spinach salad harnesses the power of avocado, feta, red onion, toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Paired with grilled chicken breast and drizzled with a delicious balsamic vinaigrette, it's a light, refreshing salad that makes a complete meal.
- 2 full chicken breasts, or four halves, skinned and boned
- 5 ounces organic spinach
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and halved
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill on medium high heat until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a mason jar or small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake or mix well to combine. Taste and add additional salt/pepper, if necessary. Allow to stand up to an hour before using.
Place sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a pan and toast over medium heat, tossing regularly for about 2-5 minutes until seeds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and place in a bowl to cool.
Place chicken on a cutting board, and cut into 1-inch long bite-sized pieces.
Add spinach to a large bowl, layer on the chicken, strawberries, avocado slices, red onion, and feta.
Top with toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and a dash of salt and pepper as desired, and serve.