Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (Gluten-Free)
Chicken Enchilada Soup (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 05/08/2014 - I love enchiladas, and I love soup, so this recipe was a natural.
This soup is best done in a CrockPot or other type of slow cooker. Just toss the ingredients into the pot in the morning, turn it on, and come back around dinner time for rich, delicious chicken enchilada soup.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs and legs
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (15 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes including juice (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can pinto beans (15 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 can gluten-free enchilada sauce (10 ounces)
- 1 can diced green chiles (4 ounces)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, as desired
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced fresh cabbage
- ⅓ cup sliced radishes
- 1 whole avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 ounces crumbled Cotija cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lime wedges
Sliced and soak radishes to mellow them a bit.
Rinse and pat dry the chicken thighs and legs, then place into the bottom of a slow cooker.
Add the corn, tomatoes, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, onion, cumin, cilantro, bay leaf, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
Cook on Low for 6 hours.
Remove meat from chicken from the pot and remove bones from chicken.
Transfer the chicken meat to a large plate, then shred the it with two forks.
Return the chicken to the slow cooker and continue cooking for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Top with crunched tortilla chips, crumble Cotija cheese, avocado, sliced cabbage, lime wedges and radishes.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Quick Cotija Cheese and Avocado Dip for Tortilla Chips (Gluten-Free)
I'm a sucker for traditional guacamole.... [READ MORE]
Toasted Chicken with Arugula Guacamole (Gluten-Free)
1 cup cashews1 cup arugula, chopped1 cup fresh spinach1 tsp.... [READ MORE]
Chicken and Peach Salsa (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from "Carriefaith" in the Gluten-Free
Forum.... [READ MORE]
Chili Con Carne (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Jay Berger and Kim.... [READ MORE]