Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Southwestern-Style Black Bean Soup (Gluten-Free)
Southwestern-Style Black Bean Soup (Gluten-Free)
Celiac.com 03/24/2016 - Good black bean soup is a tasty treat on a rainy day. Since we've had a few rainy days lately, I recommend this recipe for a smoky, spicy, flavor-packed southwestern-style vegetarian black bean soup that is a perfect hearty pick for cold, blustery days.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can refried black beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried epazote (aka Mexican tea), chopped
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup refrigerated fresh salsa
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- kosher salt
Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper, season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the chipotle and adobo.
Stir in the beans, refried beans, epazote, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Divide the soup into bowls, and top with the avocado, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
These tacos come together so wonderfully in part because of the vibrant, contrasting colors of the salsa and shrimp.... [READ MORE]
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Gluten-Free)
When I was in Guanajuato, Mexico, years back, the woman who cooked at the house where I was a guest prepared the most delicious chicken tortilla soup.... [READ MORE]
White Chicken Chili (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Phyllis Chinn.... [READ MORE]
This recipe comes to us from Jack and Laurie
Tepe.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity