Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gemlechner

How Long Before Changes Are Seen?

My daughter has not been tested yet. She suffers from horrible constipation. A gluten free diet helps, but every now and then something clogs her up again. I know every situation is different but how long after going gluten free did some of you see/feel changes?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

She has been gluten free (I mean, REALLY gluten free) for over a year and no improvement? Lactose intolerant?

As a kid she should have healed by now from celiac disease. I think you have to re-evaluate her diet. What do her doctors think?

I had constipation my whole life but I thought it was normal because I knew no difference. I am pretty sure I also had celiac disease since babyhood based on what my mother told me.  I discovered I was a celiac in my late 30's and it took 9 months, and starting meds for hypothyroidism, before my C finally resolved.  I think I was a bit slower than others though, most seem to take a few weeks to a few months to see improvement in BMs.

If you are planning on testing your daughter, do not put her on the gluten-free diet yet because that can cause false negative test results.  For the most accurate blood tests she needs to be consuming gluten (1/2 to 2 slices of bread per day or equivalent) in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing.  It's often better to test before going gluten-free to reduce the amount of time eating gluten.

Best wishes.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Dear god yes lol, I have a corn allergy and the starch is hit miss if it triggers a reaction, but they could also be from rice, or tapioca....seriously they need to go the route of many shampoos/body washes that list the chemical/ingredient...
    since they just say "food starch" they could have made it from a cows arse for all i know. they need to just say what it comes from every time lol
    Here is the interpretation chart he sent me and yes I have 2 kids in which their pediatrician said they didn’t need to be tested unless they show symptoms which goes against everything I have read about symptoms being silent etc.... Is i...