Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

juliev

Stricter Protcol Than Just gluten-free?

Rate this topic

Hi,

My 10-year-old is presumed Celiac based on 4 blood draws (first three test results 18 months ago were over 100; most recent test was 96).  Although we thought we'd been very careful to keep him gluten free, his most recent test result should have been much lower if we had.  I've heard that there is a stricter protocol for someone who is not responding to a gluten-free diet, but I don't know what that stricter protocol is.  My guess is that it involves a gluten-free, casein-free diet.  Is anyone familiar with this, and if so, would you be willing to share information with me?

Thanks so much.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the board. Are you following all the stuff we have to do to avoid cross contamination? He needs his own toaster, condiments, you can't use stuff like a colander that is used to drain wheat pasta for his gluten-free pasta, supplements and script meds need to be checked to be sure they are gluten free etc. It isn't just that food must be gluten free we also have to be very careful about how it is prepared.

Have you read the Newbie thread at the top of the Coping section? If not you should as it will have a lot of valuable info for you.

I don't have time before work for a more complete answer but I am sure others will be on to give some good recommendations.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

This is an older post from Jebby. She is a Ped Medical doctor who also has celiac disease. She wrote about Dr. Fansano's diet (and other celiac disease experts) and how it deals with super sensitive or possible refractory celiac disease.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/blog/1038/entry-1780-the-gluten-contamination-elimination-diet-summary-of-dr-fasanos-recent-paper/

I hope this helps!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/blog/1038/entry-1780-the-gluten-contamination-elimination-diet-summary-of-dr-fasanos-recent-paper/

Sometimes referred to as "the Fasano Diet"

Looks like Cycles & I were posting at the same time!   :D

Join eNewsletter

Sometimes referred to as "the Fasano Diet"

Looks like Cycles & I were posting at the same time!   :D

I was going to say two things:

"Great minds think alike!"

And....

When I first saw the posting, I was heading out the door and in a hurry and thought that Karen will respond. I was right!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you, all!  This was just the information I was hoping to find.  While we knew to get him his own oven (just so happens that we're moving into a brand-new house in a few weeks, so problem solved there!), no one said anything about new colander (though I had wondered about that) or other items. 

I will definitely look into the Fasano diet! 

Eloise, best wishes in your new journey!  I'm sure that changing your eating habits as a teen is incredibly difficult, but good for you for taking control of your health.  I really appreciate your recommendation to check his vitamins for gluten, too!  Great suggestion.

Thank you all again!  I feel very encouraged that we'll be able to better eliminate gluten and to help him feel his best.

Join eNewsletter