Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac's when I was 19. When I was 23, I was still having problems with my stomach. I got more test done and found I also have intolerance to rice, (white) potatoes, pork, egg whites, and lots other things but those are the big ones. Especially since rice flour is used for the majority of Gluten Free pasta, pizza crust, bread etc. However, I have been eating meal replacement shakes and one I just purchased has "Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein, pea protein isolate". I have done some research and rice protein is an extract from rice. Isolating the grain from the protein. Before I put my body though a test, I was wondering if any one know if this is safe to eat?!?! I am pretty sensitive to white rice and brown rice. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! 

Gluten-Free Andee 

Not to discount your allergies or intolerances (I have many myself), but when was the last time you had a full celiac antibodies blood panel?  Celiac symptoms can wax and wane, so it is a good idea to get checked annually to help see if your disease is still active (diet compliant).  

I can't eat brown rice, rice bran, or rice bran oil without having the same symptoms as being glutened. I have gluten ataxia, but not celiac. I have been tested for food sensitivities, and rice was one of my worst reactions. Because Rice is in almost all gluten free products that have grain, I avoid eating grains. I follow grain free or paleo recipes, or buy Simple Mills, Against All Grain, Julian Bakery, or Chebe products. you are looking for grain free protein powder, I recommend Garden of Life organic plant protein grain free. There are 4 flavors, which I bought online from Thrive Market. Rice sensitivity is a rare and unfortunate one to have, but there are more options out there than there used to be!

gluten-free andee,

according to an article on celiac.com  that talks about this subject see this link https://www.celiac.com/articles/24406/1/Celiac-Diease-and-Other-Autoimmune-Diseases-Equals-Low-Inflammatory-Diet/Page1.html

Quoting the author "In the author's personal experience, a gluten-free diet has many limitations. The reactivity between alpha gliadin and corn, millet, oats, rice and dairy has been denounced as invalid by gastroenterologists and celiac disease researchers. While at a medical school in Missouri, biopsies did not show improvement in villous atropy until all alpha gliadin sources and corn, millet, rice and oats were removed from the diet."  Note this research is two years old but hilites the problem with non-gluten rice protein that you are having.

It is the alpha gliadin sources that it causing the cross reactivity you are experiencing when you eat rice protein's.

She says quoting "Celiac disease has gotten the most attention in antibody research, but the current data on cross-reactivity of antibodies is allowing a better understanding of gluten sensitivity. Antigen reactivity to alpha-gliadin can trigger immune attacks on many individuals beyond those with positive DQ 2, DQ 8 and TTG test results.

She goes on to say "A low inflammatory diet customized to each person through testing for cross-reactivity or elimination diet protocols is needed to restore a state of health and well-being."  which sounds exactly like what you are doing.

If you are still having problems after elminating rice a 30 day elimination of all the alpha gliadin proteins might be in order.  Corn is a common reactivity problem I hear with a gluten allergy from my friends as well as the obvious lactose problems that can be common among celiacs.  But rarely do you hear Rice allergy's brought up in context of a gluten allergy.

I am glad you are making progress on finding your triggers.

Read the whole article for yourself to see if there are nuggets of truth I did not highlight in my response.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck on your journey to health.

Posterboy,