Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
DrummerGirl231

Should I replace my barely-used tupperware?

Rate this topic

I have some plastic tupperware containers I bought before going to college that I've barely used. I think the only time any of them have had gluten in them was my first semester before my symptoms started and one was full of cookies. 
They've all been washed since, but with the scrubber in my mom's kitchen that she uses on all her dishes that don't go in the dishwasher. 
Anyway, the containers don't have scratches or stains or anything, so if I wash them again with a new sponge, are they safe? Or should I buy some glass ones because plastic is porous and can harbor gluten, scratches or no scratches? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi DummerGirl,

I'd use them if they are not scratched.  Plastic isn't really porus and absorbent like wood.  It is a problem when plastic gets all scratched up because some gluten can get stuck in the little scratches, not absorbed.  If you clean them well and don't cross contaminate them with the gluteny sponge you should be ok.

Welcome to the forum Drummer Girl! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

On 12/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, GFinDC said:

Hi DummerGirl,

I'd use them if they are not scratched.  Plastic isn't really porus and absorbent like wood.  It is a problem when plastic gets all scratched up because some gluten can get stuck in the little scratches, not absorbed.  If you clean them well and don't cross contaminate them with the gluteny sponge you should be ok.

Welcome to the forum Drummer Girl! :)

Thanks so much! Trying to figure out all this kitchen stuff is a headache in and of itself! 

I've been switching over to glass whenever possible for the past few years due to plastic breaking down and leaching chemicals in food... even BPA-free plastics.  Anything acidic, like tomato products, vinegar bases, fruit juices etc, accelerate the breakdown.  I still have to use plastic in the freezer for some things, but I try to avoid it and never, never heat anything in the microwave that is in plastic.  Heat changes the composition and releases the chemicals into the food.  When did life get so tough, huh?  Ugh!

Debbie

I line containers with parchment paper and avoid having my food contact anything plastic whether there might be gluten involved or not.  For leftovers like tinned vegetables, I use Mason glass jars and then refrigerate them. These are easily cleaned in the dishwasher for re-use.

Great ideas!
Today I bought myself two glass tupperware containers and a set of Mason jars. Now I just need to eat something out of the jars with a spork that normally belongs on a plate and I'll be one step closer to fitting in with the other young'uns of my generation. lol
I never liked the way plastic tupperware wares down (and starts to stink!) and I never reheat anything in plastic containers. I feel like it makes leftover peas into little green balls of cancer. Blech! =P