Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
MisterV

Tongue sores timing of appearance

Rate this topic

I have 2 questions about tongue sores.
When I am glutenized, I get 1 to 4 spots on my tongue, under the front tip or along the sides. They start red with a white border, then the white border spreads out leaving the red smoothness behind. They usually appear in 3 to 4 hours or if they are delayed by 2 or 3 days.  I have been very careful for 2 weeks and have had no known exposure. Then I went to a restaurant that dedicates a space to gluten-free cooking and I've never had an issue there before and had no reaction till 3 days later. I am wondering whether delayed tongue spots is a possibility>

2. question...if this is happening to my tongue, what is happening to my insides? I generally don't get many other symptoms any more that I am so careful.  Sometimes after the tongue sores start I am foggy brained or anxious for a day or two, but little digestive symptoms. I am paranoid about lymphoma now that I saw some statistic about celiacs being prone to it.

Hi MisterV,

The risk of cancer from celiac disease is very low.  Most people don't get it.  I think your spots are probably caused by something else.