Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
6throundpick

New celiac and Depression?

Rate this topic

Hi all!

New to all of this. After doctor after doctor not knowing much and misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis (you get the idea here), we tried a gluten elimination diet and since then, physically, I was feeling TONS better. This feeling went on about a week, maybe 2, but I am now experiencing debilitating DEPRESSION and extreme disorientation. It has been difficult to decipher how I am feeling, outside of feeling a lack of control. I am reading that some of this is common, but do any of you have similar stories or advice to send my way? Did anyone else feel this way from withdrawal? I used to be bubbly and driven, I find myself now having difficulty getting out of bed, doing what I used to love and I have no appetite! Any words of wisdom?

:unsure:

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

2 hours ago, 6throundpick said:

we tried a gluten elimination diet and since then, physically, I was feeling TONS better.

Did you have any celiac testing prior to going gluten free?  

experiencing debilitating DEPRESSION and extreme disorientation

Until the moment you first connect that stuff in just about every processed food in the store to your mental health you would never believe that bread can make you depressed. Once you do connect the dots its a life changing event. It certainly was for me. 

It's not uncommon to have a rocky first few weeks on the diet. Celiac testing notwithstanding it's probably a sign you're on the right track, because otherwise why would removing gluten have such a profound effect on your mental health?

You have a choice, you can pursue a definitive answer, this would involve going back on gluten, more info on this here:

or stay on the diet and see how you go over a longer period of time. 

I used to be bubbly and driven, I find myself now having difficulty getting out of bed, doing what I used to love and I have no appetite! Any words of wisdom?

I suffered from depression for a very long time and the only thing which really impacted on it was going gluten free. It didn't lift it altogether however, being gluten-free is very helpful to my mental health but it doesn't make me immune from depression, sadly! It's a big subject but some useful steps:

Make sure you're taking a vitamin supplement each day

Eat well, lots of whole foods, make sure you're DEFINITELY not getting any gluten from hidden sources. If you're new to the diet its super easy to make mistakes. More info here via the post I linked to above (newbie thread).

Get sunshine each day if you can.

Walk, be active. 

Talk to people about it, here online but also in real life. Don't be afraid to let others know what you're going through and remember it will pass.

All the best,

Matt

On May 3, 2017 at 11:14 AM, 6throundpick said:

Hi all!

New to all of this. After doctor after doctor not knowing much and misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis (you get the idea here), we tried a gluten elimination diet and since then, physically, I was feeling TONS better. This feeling went on about a week, maybe 2, but I am now experiencing debilitating DEPRESSION and extreme disorientation. It has been difficult to decipher how I am feeling, outside of feeling a lack of control. I am reading that some of this is common, but do any of you have similar stories or advice to send my way? Did anyone else feel this way from withdrawal? I used to be bubbly and driven, I find myself now having difficulty getting out of bed, doing what I used to love and I have no appetite! Any words of wisdom?

:unsure:

The absolute worst symptom of my celiac is DEBILITATING depression. For 7 years, horrible horrible horrible depression. I know the day after I eat gluten because my mood darkens significantly and I have an onslaught of negative thinking. 

The thing that finally got me off of the depression meds was that I switched to completely whole foods and I STARTED GOING TO THE GYM. On top of the gluten free diet, I cut anything processed, COFFEE (its so hard on the tummy and bad for leaky gut) anything with soy or dairy (occasionally irritates my stomach for some reason) and started taking a TON of supplements. 

Going to the gym was the hardest because I HATE working out but I have no anxiety or depression after 7 awful years, way more energy, and get toilet sick way less. 

Super weird. Don't understand it, but it saved me.

Edited by Emma123