Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
BarryC

Casein but not gluten sensitive?

Rate this topic

I am aware that gluten sensitives are often also sensitive to casein in dairy.  Is it possible to be sensitive to casein but not gluten? My daughter has a very mild sensitivity to gluten, but gets sick several hours after even a small amount of dairy. Ice cream, sour cream, etc are the worst offenders. She has tried lactose free to no avail. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi, I hope your daughter is feeling better.  

Sometimes gluten derivatives are added as thickened in dairy products like ice cream, sour cream and yogurt.  Most recently, genetically manipulated microbes are cultured to produce microbial tissue transglutaminase (mTg) which is used as a texture enhancer in some manufactured foods, like gluten free bakery products and dairy products.  It is also called meat glue because it is often used in formed meat products like luncheon meats, sausages, and chicken patties.  

Recent studies are finding that this food additive mTg resembles human tissue transglutaminase (one of the blood tests for celiac disease measures this, tTg), and has a similar effect.  

"mTg is immunogenic in children with celiac disease and, by complexing to gliadin, its immunogenicity is enhanced."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27640315

I found I had to severely limit gluten free processed foods and all dairy because I kept getting sick.  Curious as to why, I came across this study.  I was shocked.  Weren't gluten free foods supposed to be safe?

I hope this can be helpful to your daughter and others.  

I think the simple answer to the questions is - yes. anyone can be allergic or intolerant to any food.  So someone with or without Celiac can have an issue with casein.