Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
keezyfresh

supplements while on fasano elimination diet

Rate this topic

I'm planning to start on the fasano gluten elimination diet, and i'm wondering if taking a certified gluten free multi-vitamin/mineral would be allowed.

56 minutes ago, keezyfresh said:

I'm planning to start on the fasano gluten elimination diet, and i'm wondering if taking a certified gluten free multi-vitamin/mineral would be allowed.

Yes, it is allowed. I'd say the majority of us, if not all, take some vitamin or mineral supplements. Some more than others. It's also good for your doc to do a blood test to show if you are deficient in anything, which is quite common with malabsorption issues due to your gut damage. Then you know more specifically what to supplement.

If you are attempting this diet, it is probably because you are not feeling well, despite eating gluten free.  I would skip even a gluten free multi-vitamin (even if certified) at least for a month as part of this experiment.  It should not harm you.  Be sure to eat a varied diet.  

Of course you should discuss this with your doctor.  We don't know if you have any major deficiencies.  

For those who do not know what this diet is all about, Jebby, wrote a blog about it.  I can tell you she is a medical doctor (preemie babies) who has celiac disease and has a website of her own.  She posts interesting articles occasionally when she gets a break from her practice and four kids!

2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

If you are attempting this diet, it is probably because you are not feeling well, despite eating gluten free.  I would skip even a gluten free multi-vitamin (even if certified) at least for a month as part of this experiment.  It should not harm you.  Be sure to eat a varied diet.  

Of course you should discuss this with your doctor.  We don't know if you have any major deficiencies.  

For those who do not know what this diet is all about, Jebby, wrote a blog about it.  I can tell you she is a medical doctor (preemie babies) who has celiac disease and has a website of her own.  She posts interesting articles occasionally when she gets a break from her practice and four kids!

I had no idea the diet was slightly more restrictive. What purposes is this particular diet used for? Just for regular newbs or for people not getting better?

and here's the new website for the doctor you were quoting above http://www.jessicamaddenmd.com/ lots of good info!! And she keeps the blog pretty updated as well.

Dr. Fasano talks about the diet in his book. It was initially for those who were on the gluten-free diet and still had higher tTG or were still symptomatic, but I have seen it recommended now for the newly diagnosed. 

Too many celiacs were getting diagnosed with Refractory celiac disease which is not common.  Many of these celiacs thought they were gluten free, but found that they were still getting hidden exposures to gluten.  Let's face it, the learning curve for the gluten-free diet is very steep.  

So, the diet allows celiacs to really eliminate gluten and heal.  It actually is a good diet for the newly diagnosed, especially when a patient is really sick.  When you feel bad and have a foggy brain, can you really focus on reading labels.  Don't forget that many of us have additional food intolerances too.  

On 02/07/2017 at 9:55 AM, cyclinglady said:

thanks