Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
lilo

Immersion Blender ???

Rate this topic

My mother used our immersion blender for making gluten containing soup last year. Since then she used it for a lot of stuff which are naturally gluten free. Does the same rule for utensils , strainers and plastic stuff apply to this too ? ( Our immersion blender is plastic )

19 minutes ago, lilo said:

My mother used our immersion blender for making gluten containing soup last year. Since then she used it for a lot of stuff which are naturally gluten free. Does the same rule for utensils , strainers and plastic stuff apply to this too ? ( Our immersion blender is plastic )

Toss it, The thing about immersion blenders is where the shaft goes into the head onit right under the blades. The seal there is not actually 100% liquid proof.....at least not with the higher end cusinart ones. I took the motor fitting piece off mine once to clean it better and found over all the years it had been sucking stuff up into the shaft slowly.......NASTY. Luckily mine is ALWAYS used with gluten free.

I have the Cuisinart blender and still use it with nary a problem.  I always cleaned them well and, quite frankly, unless you used it very often with gluten containing liquids, and the blender is old and questionable, it will be safe.  You don't have to automatically toss something because someone used it once with a forbidden food. 

All the immersion blenders I have seen have a hard plastic casing and, unless they are really scratched up bad which is hard to do with that type of plastic, it should be just fine.