This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

MOOO

MOOO Apprentice

I have been gluten free for almost 6 months now.  I was diagnosed with moderate celiac disease through an endoscopy in September 2017.  It has been a painfully slow healing process for me.  In fact most of the time I am wondering if I am making enough progress, or if something else is going on.  However, things have improved slowly so I assume I am heading in the right direction.  

Suddenly things are going terribly wrong.  I went out to eat for the fist time since my diagnosis on Saturday night (5 days ago).  I went to the Melting Pot, which I thought would be a safe place for me since they apparently have CC training and I have heard of several celiacs eating there with no problem.  I felt fine right after dinner, the next few days following I was very fatigued, dizzy, and nauseous. Then things went from bad to worse.  Last night I was in so much pain and was so nauseous I almost could not stand it.  This morning the pain and nausea continued until I urgently ran to the bathroom and released some normal looking stool along with A LOT of some sort of greasy, mucusy substance.  It was yellow in color and did not have much of an odor to it.  

I now feel like I am overcome with fear and anxiety worried about what is going on with me.  When I look up anal mucus I only see things like chrones, ulcerative colitis and cancer come up.  Has anyone experienced these problems after being glutened or do you think I should call my doctor and ask him to order a colonoscopy?  I'm just really scared.  If it is just healing/glutening I can deal with it, but I'm having trouble finding anything reassuring online that this is the case. 

Please tell me your experiences and tell me this will get better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, MOOO said:

I have been gluten free for almost 6 months now.  I was diagnosed with moderate celiac disease through an endoscopy in September 2017.  It has been a painfully slow healing process for me.  In fact most of the time I am wondering if I am making enough progress, or if something else is going on.  However, things have improved slowly so I assume I am heading in the right direction.  

Suddenly things are going terribly wrong.  I went out to eat for the fist time since my diagnosis on Saturday night (5 days ago).  I went to the Melting Pot, which I thought would be a safe place for me since they apparently have CC training and I have heard of several celiacs eating there with no problem.  I felt fine right after dinner, the next few days following I was very fatigued, dizzy, and nauseous. Then things went from bad to worse.  Last night I was in so much pain and was so nauseous I almost could not stand it.  This morning the pain and nausea continued until I urgently ran to the bathroom and released some normal looking stool along with A LOT of some sort of greasy, mucusy substance.  It was yellow in color and did not have much of an odor to it.  

I now feel like I am overcome with fear and anxiety worried about what is going on with me.  When I look up anal mucus I only see things like chrones, ulcerative colitis and cancer come up.  Has anyone experienced these problems after being glutened or do you think I should call my doctor and ask him to order a colonoscopy?  I'm just really scared.  If it is just healing/glutening I can deal with it, but I'm having trouble finding anything reassuring online that this is the case. 

Please tell me your experiences and tell me this will get better!

Umm I get this with my ulcerative colitis flares and mine also normally has blood in it. But mucus is sort of your body making it to coat and protect itself from irritants...so I would assume it would be normal with the celiac reaction too...but my cealic flares will later trigger a UC flare so I can not comment if it would be with plain celiac flares.

Just consider it the protective coating your body is putting out to defend itself for now see if it clears up in a few days...for me the mucus stops within a week and even re-flares with spices. SO go with bland soft mushy meals like rice gruel, soft microwaved eggs, mashed potatoes, blended soups, and super soft steamed veggies. Perhaps nut meal porridge (my go to since my UC flares to carbs/sugars) avoid dairy, oats, spices and anything that might be rough on the gut til it stops throwing its little fit. I use Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm, and Aloe Vera to coat an soothe my intestines. I use Nature Way Marshmallow root, thayers slippery elm and this inner fillet aloe vera in the pharmacy section of my grocery store.

Hellodee2 Explorer

I have mucus problems, too. I've had it most of my life. I was diagnosed in 06 and still have mucus in my stool at varying times. Definitely when I'm cc'd. If you have a GI doc you could give them a sample or ask about a colonoscopy.  My doctor doesn't seem to think it's anything to worry about.

squirmingitch Veteran

It sure sounds to me like you got glutened. I'm so sorry! Most likely it was the Melting Pot. I'd pretty much stake everything on that. 

RMJ Mentor

Last time I went to the Melting Pot they didn’t use the  type of gluten free beer that was listed on their menu. They used a gluten-removed beer.  I think the local manager was trying to save money.  I reported them to the certifying organization, GFCO.  GFCO took it very seriously.  Nima posted mixed results from their supposedly gluten free sauces - they seemed to think that one of the servings of curry sauce had gotten contaminated.  So while trained and certified by GFCO they are not perfect.

Archived