Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
aquilter16

Am I on the right track?

Rate this topic

My experience began in Feb of 2018 out of the blue - intense cramps, urgent diarrhea - after eating a large salad (w/bread) and another day after a sub with veggies and another day a plate of raw veggies.  At the time I was under a lot of stress so I thought I triggered IBS, I researched and avoided anything that would aggravate IBS (roughage) and started taking a probiotic, within a week I was back to normal and started introducing the foods back into my diet.  All was fine for about 1 1/2 months, then it all started up again after a weekend with a few pasta meals.  The cramping and D seemed to hit about 2-4 hours after eating, my stress level was down so I felt I could attribute it to diet.  I decided to stop gluten and have been off for a week, the D was calming down to about 1-2x's every other day.  I also went back on a probiotic.  For the past week I have pretty much been eating the same thing to not confuse my mind and body.  Greek yogurt w/fruit, tea, orange juice for breakfast.  A salad with chicken breast (no croutons) w/Italian dressing for lunch and a gluten free cereal for supper.  But sometimes the D was again urgent every other day and I was miserable for about an hour or so.  Yesterday I was feeling almost back to normal actually a regular BM, but then I decided to enjoy 2 pieces of my favorite chocolate (Lindt Lindor Extra Dark Choco Truffle), which I treat myself to about every day.  Immediately I did not feel well and with 3-4 hours of the above mentioned regular BM, I had the most horrible episode of D.  Today I still do not feel real well.  I read the ingredients and saw the treat contained Barley Malt something or other - well damn!!  I was OK giving up gluten in breads, pastas, cereals etc but my chocolate!!  Dairy does not seem to be an issue, in fact I feel better after eating some yogurt and even ice cream.  I have also been taking Pepto Bismol after an episode only out of desperation as I just want the discomfort to go away especially if I am not going to be home for long periods of time.  I wonder if the PB is cancelling the affects of the probiotic.  How long do I expect these symptoms to last?   One of the benefits I have found of eliminating the gluten is the pain in my hip joint as dramatically subsided.  I have arthritis and have been getting shots but it does not eliminate all the pain, but the past week it is almost gone.  Am I on the right track with getting my system regulated?  Thanks I have found quite a few articles here very informative and anything additional would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

5 hours ago, aquilter16 said:

My experience began in Feb of 2018 out of the blue - intense cramps, urgent diarrhea - after eating a large salad (w/bread) and another day after a sub with veggies and another day a plate of raw veggies.  At the time I was under a lot of stress so I thought I triggered IBS, I researched and avoided anything that would aggravate IBS (roughage) and started taking a probiotic, within a week I was back to normal and started introducing the foods back into my diet.  All was fine for about 1 1/2 months, then it all started up again after a weekend with a few pasta meals.  The cramping and D seemed to hit about 2-4 hours after eating, my stress level was down so I felt I could attribute it to diet.  I decided to stop gluten and have been off for a week, the D was calming down to about 1-2x's every other day.  I also went back on a probiotic.  For the past week I have pretty much been eating the same thing to not confuse my mind and body.  Greek yogurt w/fruit, tea, orange juice for breakfast.  A salad with chicken breast (no croutons) w/Italian dressing for lunch and a gluten free cereal for supper.  But sometimes the D was again urgent every other day and I was miserable for about an hour or so.  Yesterday I was feeling almost back to normal actually a regular BM, but then I decided to enjoy 2 pieces of my favorite chocolate (Lindt Lindor Extra Dark Choco Truffle), which I treat myself to about every day.  Immediately I did not feel well and with 3-4 hours of the above mentioned regular BM, I had the most horrible episode of D.  Today I still do not feel real well.  I read the ingredients and saw the treat contained Barley Malt something or other - well damn!!  I was OK giving up gluten in breads, pastas, cereals etc but my chocolate!!  Dairy does not seem to be an issue, in fact I feel better after eating some yogurt and even ice cream.  I have also been taking Pepto Bismol after an episode only out of desperation as I just want the discomfort to go away especially if I am not going to be home for long periods of time.  I wonder if the PB is cancelling the affects of the probiotic.  How long do I expect these symptoms to last?   One of the benefits I have found of eliminating the gluten is the pain in my hip joint as dramatically subsided.  I have arthritis and have been getting shots but it does not eliminate all the pain, but the past week it is almost gone.  Am I on the right track with getting my system regulated?  Thanks I have found quite a few articles here very informative and anything additional would be appreciated.

You could be on the right track.  Consider getting back on gluten and get tested for celiac disease.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Healing can take weeks, months or years to heal if you have celiac disease.   It can be difficult to commit to being gluten free without a diagnosis.  

I wish you well.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator